Just for fun...

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
So here's a simple 'poser' I submit to various electronics fora upon which I participate -- that said I don't think it's particularly 'Googleable'...

Q) What is the purpose and nature of a high vacuum, hot-cathode, diode which draws a mere 100mA (Max) @ 100kV

Hints
Application, obviously, is NOT rectification.
Device is in very wide (one might even say ubiquitous) use to this day.

Best regards
HP

PS as I understand posting policy, a post of this nature is acceptable here, if not, please educate me as to the error of my ways (i.e. direct me to the appropriate forum) :)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So here's a simple 'poser' I submit to various electronics fora upon which I participate -- that said I don't think it's particularly 'Googleable'...

Q) What is the purpose and nature of a high vacuum, hot-cathode, diode which draws a mere 100mA (Max) @ 100kV

Hints
Application, obviously, is NOT rectification.
Device is in very wide (one might even say ubiquitous) use to this day.

Best regards
HP

PS as I understand posting policy, a post of this nature is acceptable here, if not, please educate me as to the error of my ways (i.e. direct me to the appropriate forum) :)
100keV is at the upper end of the X-ray region, so I'm going to guess you are talking about some kind of X-ray tube.

As for being a "mere" 100mA, given that 100mA at 100kV is 10kW, I don't know that I would classify that as a "mere" level of current.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hello,

A rontgen tube will be the purpose for the 100 mA @ 100 kV.

Bertus
Well, actually, a Coolidge (hot cathode) tube -- Still you got it in one! Golly! golly! Usually this quiz creates a mile-long thread:mad: -- Good call!!!

Hmm, imagine those 10kW running continuously :D
That'd be fluorosocopy at full current -- Now you've got me smelling burning dielectric oil :eek:

Best regards
HP

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
100keV is at the upper end of the X-ray region, so I'm going to guess you are talking about some kind of X-ray tube.

As for being a "mere" 100mA, given that 100mA at 100kV is 10kW, I don't know that I would classify that as a "mere" level of current.
Indeed! Though you must admit that it is shockingly (NPI) paltry for a thermionic device operating at that anode potential (and a white-hot filament) :cool:

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I used to have a lot of 'fun' with this -- As a new member on certain fora I'd feign 'nubieism' for about a week then ask:

"I found this tube in a junk shop that looks like a bottle with a hockey-puck inside I don't think it's gassy because it doesn't glow when I hit it with my TC -- even with the filament bright it doesn't draw much current... [then I'd close the post with something like] gotta go I haven't been feeling well lately..." then watch the veritable flood of mingled advice, sympathy and outrage -- rarely did anyone spot the connection to my username to wit: "ARS" ;)

Don't worry I'm 'all gwod up now' and will refrain from such antics here :D

Last edited: