johnson counter

dandrous

Joined Mar 2, 2015
how can i develope a 7bit johnson counter..that terminate counting at the state 1111110..pls help schematics will be more helpful

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Please attempt your own homework.

We aren't going solve it for you.

If you need help with something, ask a question pertaining to how you can come to a solution.

dandrous

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Please attempt your own homework.

We aren't going solve it for you.

If you need help with something, ask a question pertaining to how you can come to a solution.
No different than any other counter. FSM, present-state>next-state, and all that...
i already designed the johnson counter but i dont know how to stop counting when its is reached at a particular state

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You look at the outputs with a decoder. When the decoder says you've reached the terminal state. You turn off the count enable, or you block the clock from allowing the counter to continue. It's a fielders choice. You could also use the decoder to parallel load the final state into the counter for each consecutive clock pulse until a RESET gets you out.

dandrous

Joined Mar 2, 2015
You look at the outputs with a decoder. When the decoder says you've reached the terminal state. You turn off the count enable, or you block the clock from allowing the counter to continue. It's a fielders choice. You could also use the decoder to parallel load the final state into the counter for each consecutive clock pulse until a RESET gets you out.
my concept is that i just want the johnson counter till 1111111.so when next state 1111110 comes i fed back it into clocking circuit using a logic circuit such that it preventing clock at this stage

dandrous

Joined Mar 2, 2015
What is the next state relative to the present state if you don't want it to advance on a clock?
my concept is that i just want the johnson counter till 1111111.so when next state 1111110 comes i fed back it into clocking circuit using a logic circuit such that it preventing clock at this stage

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Gateing a clock on/off is usually problematic. It is much better to design the counter so that the last state just repeats over and over on every subsequent clock.

Begs the question: how do you get the counter out of the last state, and make it start over? Asynchronous reset? Extra input which is acted on upon a clock?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If you are using a parallel load to hold the last state you can add a mux to allow the jam transfer of an initial state as well. Then everything is nice and synchronous.

dandrous

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Gateing a clock on/off is usually problematic. It is much better to design the counter so that the last state just repeats over and over on every subsequent clock.

Begs the question: how do you get the counter out of the last state, and make it start over? Asynchronous reset? Extra input which is acted on upon a clock?
If you are using a parallel load to hold the last state you can add a mux to allow the jam transfer of an initial state as well. Then everything is nice and synchronous.
check the circuit i have drawn ..it is for testing a dac ic..the concept is that a dac ic convert digital input to analogue and this analogue is passed to the adc..and the obtained digital output is compared with the input ..when the sequence in input and output is same its clocked the flipflop to count next state and so on..when ever there is a mismatch between input and output the counting is stopes and fail indication led is lights
i wish to use johnson counter for chekcing particular inputs

Moderators note: I reduced the colors and size of the image

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: