John Deere vs. Ukraine Looters

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The Russians are where America farmers go for hacked John Deere software and systems. I don't expect this remote disablement will last very long.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The Russians are where America farmers go for hacked John Deere software and systems. I don't expect this remote disablement will last very long.
I wonder if JD can remotely brick the controller. Of course its not something they would want to advertise but it seems very much within the realm of possibility. Of course, if you don’t need all the sophistication it is probably possible to replace anything minimally needed to get it running. On the other hand, the level of computerization seems to extend to all the systems, so, maybe not.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
I wonder if JD can remotely brick the controller. Of course its not something they would want to advertise but it seems very much within the realm of possibility. Of course, if you don’t need all the sophistication it is probably possible to replace anything minimally needed to get it running. On the other hand, the level of computerization seems to extend to all the systems, so, maybe not.
If not brick the controller,
brick the engine,
change firing order or oil pump flow or such like
Install some sort of virus !... Possibilities are endless,,

I assume there are multiple comtrolers on the machines
so they could "re infect" each other ,,

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I'm very sure the Russians can make the equipment operational unless there has been physical damage to the machines. It's likely the Ukrainian equipment was already running hack firmware so a remote bad firmware brick is unlikely to be permanent. Some of the higher 'AI' functions might not work but you can still operate the machine in manual.
https://github.com/TractorHacking/PolyCAN
https://www.vice.com/en/article/xyk...acking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware
"What you've got is technicians running around here with cracked Ukrainian John Deere software that they bought off the black market," he added.
This was years ago, they've only gotten better.

Last edited:

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
At least this time a non ME country is beeing chewed by super powers.
ME is world's a$$ and Ukrine's somewhere around :T
nice progress for humankind.