Jobs you don't put on the resume.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I worked for a company where the GM was caught cooking up phony profit. Then, his replacement was caught doing the same thing. I was paid a handsome profit sharing during that time. Go figure.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
@nsaspook

That article is dated, July 2, 1991.
Interestingly, the president and owner, is Herman Valentine - you brought up the topic today? Coincidence?
In a round about way, I was talking to someone about working at the Research Triangle park in NC during the 80's for that company and how the company presidents name was Valentine with a little chuckle. I left there before the court case and really knew little about what was happening until I did a google search today.

Those guys really knew how to throw party back then. The hospitality suites for 'customers' (mainly government contracting officers) were filled with booze, food and 'entertainment', we would hop in for a little swag after the main party was over. They were really nice crooks.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
In a round about way, I was talking to someone about working at the Research Triangle park in NC during the 80's for that company and how the company presidents name was Valentine with a little chuckle. I left there before the court case and really knew little about what was happening until I did a google search today.

Those guys really knew how to throw party back then. The hospitality suites for 'customers' (mainly government contracting officers) were filled with booze, food and 'entertainment', we would hop in for a little swag after the main party was over. They were really nice crooks.

Odd. Mr Valentine, middle initial E, with "Sr" suffix has a linkedin profile like few others. This guy must have inspired Bill Gates. Start a business while still in school, roll it into a corporation. Then he out maneuvered Bill, this guy took his corporation private again as an LLC and still runs it 46 years later.

One of the three biggest black owned businesses in the country (according to his linkedin profile). Whew, why doesn't anyone talk about this guy in February? - he even has the perfect last name for this special month.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Some jobs you don't list because you just don't know enough about what you were doing to adequately describe it: "Uploaded munitions on fighter aircraft in hot, sandy location (note -- pilot downloaded same). Replaced parts with bullet-shaped deformities on said aircraft as needed."

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Went from TV station engineer(jr.) to manufacture, maintenance and repair of automated pharmaceutical dispensing equipment.
In between I swept up diesel spills and changed blown tires on tractor trailers for almost 6 months. Kept me and the son fed but I don't list the job. Ever.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
What an unsavory job... for how long did you do that?
A friend of mine was the collections manager for a credit union for about 2 years. He would hire my cousin and myself about 6-8 times a year to pick up non paying customers cars/trucks. We had to carry the repo papers with us, as well as authorization saying we did indeed work for said credit union. We always had a key for the vehicle, a locksmith would cut one according to the VIN, so that made it easier. It paid well time wise, usually $50 ea for a 15 min ride.
when my friend quit his job, we were done with ours..

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The jobs I have had that don't typically make it onto any of my resumes are the ones where I was either fired or had quit due to crooked managers trying to hide unethical business practices or getting so fed up with company BS I couldn't take it another day.

For those time lines I usually put down self employed/ worked odd jobs and willing to go into detail if asked.

How else do you explain I worked for a company then got set up by a crooked manager who was trying hide illegal dealings he was doing with company equipment after hours then was unfired by his boss when I reported it in detail then was re fired by a second manger who was just and idiot that didn't take my word that I was working with his boss on some suspicious dealings that were going in the company then was put back to work a second time by the main boss only to then walk out because I got sick of dealing with everything.
Which then a short time later lead to manager one and a few of his cohorts being fired while idiot manger two was striped of his job and put back in the workforce with all the people he messed with while on his mangement power trips that ultimately lead to him going on an ambulance ride after a number of 'unidentifiable attackers' kicked the crap out of him on a company worksite out in the middle of nowhere which lead to him quitting.:eek:
Oh yea and the people who bought that company 10 year before for $850 million had to sell out for $125 million because they couldn't make any money due to the high rate of employee turnover that was mostly due to really bad middle and upper management issues.

Or worked for a company where my manager fired me for unexcused absence fro my wedding despite literally everyone in the company knowing extly where I was at that time plus it was put into my work agreement when I was hired that I would be gone on those days he said were unexcused absences. Which then lead to his dismissal a short time later.

Or worked for a company where due to bad local and next level management there was company walk out where we went from a crew of 7 active members to being just the site manager and his mexican buddy who did all of his work for him in less than 24 hours.
Which then lead to the parent company losing their contract with whom we were contracted with costing them millions which all could have been avoided had the one middle manger and site manager got their poop together after a few minor issues with how things were being ran and how no one was getting the required proper training so that we could comply with our customers safety regulations had been brought up.

Or that job where I got fired for driving a company truck without a commercial licence halfway across the state due to my licensed coworker having smoked so much weed while on our last job he fell off the truck and couldn't get up after I finished our work then laid passed out in the passenger seat for the whole 5 hour drive home.
He and our manager were meth heads and the company owner had 'suspected' (actually well known in certain circles for) of being a drug dealer for years (plus his business had been raided for drug busts a few times over the years costing him more than just a few employees as well) so I was pretty much screwed on ratting anyone out on that one and just took my firing and called it good.

Yea. 'Self employed and did odd jobs' in those time period sounds better. ;)