Jamais vu

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by strantor, Oct 13, 2017.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Anybody here ever experience the opposite of deja vu? Today I was driving on a road that I just drove the other day, that I've driven on probably a few dozen times in the past few months, and I got this Eerie feeling that I had never been there before. The road did not look familiar at all. I drove for several miles looking for something, anything that looked familiar, and felt totally lost while knowing exactly where I was. I consulted my GPS several times to verify that I was in fact on the correct Road, and I was. It ended when I turned off of that road onto another road which I am also equally familiar with.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Coming back home after hurricane Katrina. After driving for 14 hours I did not recognize the streets and the city until I was 2 miles from home.

killivolt and strantor like this.
  3. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Yes, it's happened to me too... the word I'd use to describe the experience is uncanny...

strantor likes this.
  4. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Were the city and streets changed by the hurricane? Landmarks trees, etc missing and new landmarks (fallen trees, signs, new lakes present?

5. Raymond Genovese

Mar 5, 2016
    "...and I got this Eerie feeling that I had never been there before. The road did not look familiar at all. I drove for several miles looking for something, anything that looked familiar, and felt totally lost"

That sounds like a pretty good description of "disorientation"....except for the subsequent ....... "while knowing exactly where I was".

[plays theme to the X-files]

strantor and cmartinez like this.
  6. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I'm more partial to The Twilight Zone... :D

7. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Watch black mirror on Netflix.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I think it was more of a highway hypnosis problem. There was a huge green highway sign wrapped around some trees and damaged trees in abundance. The strangest part was the lack of litter in the streets as if the wind swept all smooth surfaces clean. That shouldn't be enough to make a sane person go blank, but I did. The next day, after a good sleep, I drove my car and everything was back to normal.

strantor and cmartinez like this.
  9. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

When you got home, are you sure you arrived at the right house? Did you recognize the people there? ;)

10. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    As per my personal experience, it will repeat, little by little, more frequently.

I learnt to not panic, relax and wait until something triggers the familiarity feeling again. After all, you know that it should be familiar because you came up to here, knowing where you were.

In spite of the above I would like not to experience that, at all.

strantor likes this.
  11. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Most likely, Esteban Rey is working on it.

12. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    LOL. If it was that bad I wouldn't be looking for conversation about it on an electronics forum, I would have driven to the hospital.

wayneh and cmartinez like this.
  13. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Well that isn't very good news. Hope I'm not getting oldtimers already; I'm only 32.

#12 and cmartinez like this.
  14. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Oh yes. I forgot you were that young
    But it started, in my case, long time ago. (70++ right now).

I suspect that in my case is mostly caused by things worrying me albeit not clearly identified at a conscious level.

Yes, that disruption of the familiarity feeling is stressing. Learn to control it.

I somewhat managed to.

strantor likes this.
  15. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Well... I was 32 only a couple of years ago... and now I'm almost 53! ... :confused::eek::p

shortbus, GopherT, killivolt and 3 others like this.
  16. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Well that makes a lot of sense. I have been incredibly stressed lately.

P.s I am surprised to learn your age. I did not think you we're that old. It makes more sense now that post of your brother who you called a "young man"

GopherT, cmartinez and atferrari like this.
  17. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Funny how that works. The timeline gets distorted over time (is that proper English?)

Some things that happened 1 or 2 years ago feel like they were a long time ago. And other things that were 15 years ago feel like they were in the last year. At your age you will probably laugh at me for saying this, but at my age I feel like I was 18 just a couple of years ago.

killivolt likes this.
  18. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    o_O ...you tell me! ... :confused::D:p

19. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I'm not laughing... seriously... to me, I still feel like if I were just married... and that was when I was 27! ... I guess I'm still in love :D

20. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    I've been driving truck for sugar beet harvest the last two weeks. 12 hours a day for 13 day straight, so far, and I have shifted gears and watched the same scenes go by so many times I'm so zombified by it now that if I even start to think about where I am at and how to drive I forget how to do it. :oops:

I had to check my oil before shift change and I couldn't even remember what side of the engine the dipstick was. :(