ISP uC programmer need help with IC

ExpL0siV3Man79

Joined Jun 4, 2018
Looking for an IC to transform usb signal to spi signal for programming ATmegas
Found MCP2210 . Is it okay ? Do you suggest me any other ic ?

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
I'll admit I know nothing about ATmega and such as I have only played with PICs so far... I just had a million and one ideas pop in my head now that I've been introduced to the MCP2210 and decided I'd at least try.

It seems your question has been asked several times around the internet, but with no clear answer (as far as the quick look tells).

The MCP2210 looks to have basic programs online to learn how to use it.

You'll have to compare timings of the MCP2210 to what the ATmega needs to see and make sure you can meet timing requirements first. I don't know how to put a ATmega into programming mode, but that is another thing to consider. If you can make those two things work then it shouldn't be a problem... Give it a shot. If nothing else you will have an easy way to communicate between your computer and new devices to figure out how they work before actually putting them into a circuit.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Looking for an IC to transform usb signal to spi signal for programming ATmegas
Found MCP2210 . Is it okay ? Do you suggest me any other ic ?
use the vinculum vnc2 chip it works ( master and slave usb two ports plus master slave SPI plus rs232 )
I used it in my designs.
Easy to program but the ide (free of charge) will run under widows only. ( that's why I am forced to keep, only for that, one Microsoft crappy system running).

Picbuster

ExpL0siV3Man79

Joined Jun 4, 2018
Can't I use the Arduino IDE? I am currently used to it so if you have any alternative please tell me . By the way I thought of an auto programmer by loading the .ino file of the arduino ide to an SD card and then connecting the sd to an ATmega using SPI . Is this really do-able? I got the idea because I loaded a USB with windows today to a new computer that installed the OS by it's self

Last edited:

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Can't I use the Arduino IDE? I am currently used to it so if you have any alternative please tell me . By the way I thought of an auto programmer by loading the .ino file of the arduino ide to an SD card and then connecting the sd to an ATmega using SPI . Is this really do-able? I got the idea because I loaded a USB with windows today to a new computer that installed the OS by it's self
Arduino uses bootloader that is stored in chip program memory.

ExpL0siV3Man79

Joined Jun 4, 2018
So that's a no? The SD project isn't doable?
Also most arduino nanos use FT232RL USB to UART , can the uC be programmed with this chip? Another option for USB to UART is MCP2221
Else give links from other chips that will do the job without giving me headache

Last edited: