ISD1820 distortion / put sound on device

mak99

Joined Sep 14, 2020
Hello. I am new in the field and therefore all help is very much appreciated
I bought an ISD1820, but the sound that is played from the device sounds very distorted. I do not know if it is the microphone or is it the speaker, which is causing this problem. If the speaker needs replacement a suggestion would be helpfull, but it cant be two big or expensive (2-3 euro)

Another thing I was wondering is if i am able to record a sound and somehow put it on the ISD1820, because i need the same audio on 2-3 devices

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi mak,
Is the speaker that came with the module about 2inches in dia and about half inch width.?
If so the speakers [ I use the ISD1810 version] are useless.
Replaced with 4 or 5 inch dia speakers they sound OK. [ 8 Ohms]
E

Attachments

mak99

Joined Sep 14, 2020
hi mak,
Is the speaker that came with the module about 2inches in dia and about half inch width.?
If so the speakers [ I use the ISD1810 version] are useless.
Replaced with 4 or 5 inch dia speakers they sound OK. [ 8 Ohms]
E
The speaker and Module is exactly the same as the one in your attachments. I will try looking for another speaker then to attach to the module

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
You may find a suitable speaker in old piece of audio equipment, in a dumpster, if you have budget limitation.

To record a sound, press the REC button, note the new sound will overwrite the previous recording.

Lets know when you are ready.
E

mak99

Joined Sep 14, 2020
hi,
You may find a suitable speaker in old piece of audio equipment, in a dumpster, if you have budget limitation.

To record a sound, press the REC button, note the new sound will overwrite the previous recording.

Lets know when you are ready.
E
I will, just to be sure. the reason for this static/distortion nice is the speaker? Because i used it earlier where the distortion not was that aparrent. Is there a way to upload sound files on this site? I thought about any of these speakers, but could not figure out which one would be the best
1. https://elektronik-lavpris.dk/p109732/sp-24mm-50ohm-miniature-hoejttaler-24mm-50-ohm/
2. PictureSkærmbillede 2020-11-12 131738.png

Last edited:

mak99

Joined Sep 14, 2020
i tried recording while the power source was the board on the left instead of the Buttoncell batteri and gaffa tape solution :D. and the quality got so much better. i think there must have been some interference while using the lithium battery to power the ISD124458353_383485769736565_5567550301168368483_n.jpg

mak99

Joined Sep 14, 2020
hi,
So what was the actual voltage being used to power the module.?
E
When i posted the problem it was the 3V CR2032. The problem is I could not find any small/cheap batteries giving more voltage.

I just tested with the 5 volt on power supply(usb above) and if i record the sound and play it with that. it is all good, if i on the other side play the sound with the CR2032 connected the sound again sounds very distorted (same recorded sound). I dont know the reason for it though.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
If you do get the chance to try it on a bigger/better 8 ohms speaker, you should hear a improvment in quality.
What sounds exactly are you using to record/replay.?
E

mak99

Joined Sep 14, 2020
hi,
If you do get the chance to try it on a bigger/better 8 ohms speaker, you should hear a improvment in quality.
What sounds exactly are you using to record/replay.?
E
I am just recording my voice for the tests. using the microphone on the ISD1820

but using the same recording the problem occurs
The only problem is that the replayed sound is really bad when using the battery inside the blue circle.

and when i use the power supply from the black circle it is really goodd
Inked124458353_383485769736565_5567550301168368483_n_LI.jpg

mak99

Joined Sep 14, 2020
Even with the 3,3 volt it is stiill way better, Like a hole lot. i think because the wiring is such a patch solution that it somehows interfere with the speaker

mak99

Joined Sep 14, 2020
Maybe. Most likely a bad battery
That was it!. Is the ISD module suppose to drain the battery if plugged in, but not used at all. Because i have had it plugged in for at couple of days. But i have not used the module at all. I want this device to hold for a long time, meaning i thought that it only drained from the battery when the playe button was pressed. and ofcourse when the sound was recorded(only once though)

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Is the ISD module suppose to drain the battery if plugged in
Not suppose to. The chip goes into an automatic power down that typically draws .5 micro amps when not in use. That will not drain the battery. Possible a capacitor across the the supply voltage on the module is "leaky". Only way to know for sure is to measure the current draw when in the standby mode.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Question, when you first tried the unit with the battery a few days ago did it sound OK? If not then the battery was probably crappy to begin with.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I recently bought two recorder/playback PCBs with an ISD1810 chip. The playback sound was really crappy. Same with both boards. Tried different voltages and many different speakers. No improvement, only louder, crappy sound. :( I finally ordered a board with a ISD-COB-17240 from Digikey. It is great.