Is this desk lamp safe to touch? Anode Cathode on outside

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
I picked up this Stainless portable desk lamp because I wanted to dp a project until i found out the 2 rails are the hot wires and now im skeptical about having it.
The 2 rails leading up to the light are the PLUS and NEG. It runs a 12v halogen bulb. I was going to make it in to a motorcycle headlamp but now im not sure. It pivots like most desk lamps but when you work the arm rails your touching the POS and NEG at the same time which prolly cant be to safe?

Attachments

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The 12Vac to run the halogen lamp comes from a transformer in the base. Unless something has gone wrong with it, the transformer provides isolation from the AC line input, so touching either rail while grounded will not shock you. 12V is not sufficient to overcome the resistance of your skin, so you will not feel anything if you touch both rails at the same time. I would not recommend bridging across the two rails with your toungue, however.

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
Mike thanks for the replay. I'm not familiar with Halogen and did not see the AC until you said something and I checked.
Now I feel dumb.
Grounded to where? The light works fine, so thats a plus. What happens if you drop something betrween the two rails? 12v 60w, isnt that like 5 amps?

The 12Vac to run the halogen lamp comes from a transformer in the base. Unless something has gone wrong with it, the transformer provides isolation from the AC line input, so touching either rail while grounded will not shock you. 12V is not sufficient to overcome the resistance of your skin, so you will not feel anything if you touch both rails at the same time. I would not recommend bridging across the two rails with your toungue, however.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
...Grounded to where?
Suppose your left hand is on the kitchen faucet (usually connected earth ground) and your right hand is on one of the lamp rails.

... What happens if you drop something betrween the two rails? 12v 60w, isnt that like 5 amps?
A weak spark, and maybe a blown fuse in the lamp base (if it has one).

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
Ive actually been shocked by touching the faucet and the medicine cabnit..
Well this idea wont work so now I have an extra lamp.