Is there a compiler for Visual C#

jfeeney

Joined Jul 14, 2008
In a previous question I asked if a microcontroller supported Visual C#. (Title - Can I program in Visual C# ) However, I think I asked the wrong question. What I really wanted to know if there was a brand of microcontroller who's compiler supported programming using Visual C#.

So program in Visual C#, then compile the program to run on a simple microcontroller.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Ahh, I think you're getting confused here.

C# and C++ are supersets of the C language. Basically, if you know C++ or C#, you'll know C, but you'll have to forget some of it ;)

Visual C# was designed with the idea of writing GUI applications for a Microsoft GUI environment. Microcontrollers don't run Windows OS, nor do they need to.

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
C# is more like JAVA when you are thinking of how it compiles and runs. It requires the .NET framework to run in other words need Windows. As I mentioned in your other thread
You would need to be looking at 32-bit systems that can run MS Windows. These would be systems based on something like the Intel Atom or Via's stuff (all x86).
There is also a .NET compact framework that is designed for WIN CE which you may be able to use C# on.