Is question 31 what's going on here!

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
another thing that should be obvious is to always check units...

20kOhm/V is not the same as 20kOhm.

to convert kOhm/V into kOhm, you need to get rid of "/V"
guess how you do that....

TayAllen01

Joined Mar 22, 2022
I thought suggesting that you explore what a meter's ohms/volt rating meant was pretty direct.

If I just Google "ohms/volt" I get the following hits:

What exactly does ohms-per-volt mean and how ...

Why is analog "voltmeter sensitivity" is defined as ohm/Volt?

Voltmeter - Wikipedia

and several other relevant ones. Learning how to track down information is an extremely important skill that is only learned by having to track information down. The more you do it, the better at it you will get.
Well I certainly don't know what to say. There is a lot I have to work on.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello there,

Many people forget what that "V" means in "20k/V".
The "V" is for the voltage SETTING on the dial, not the voltage actually MEASURED.
Maybe it should read "20k/Vsetting" or something, or "20k/Vrange".
Just one of those things you just have to remember.
The reason for this is of course because of the various values for the resistances that are switched in and out with the range selector switch. The higher the voltage range, the higher the resistance.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yeah I agree that would help. I guess with some things you just have to know how they work beforehand.
Or, in the age of Google, you can look them up if you don't know beforehand. The trick is to not automatically assume that you know what is meant by unfamiliar terms.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Or, in the age of Google, you can look them up if you don't know beforehand. The trick is to not automatically assume that you know what is meant by unfamiliar terms.
Yeah, it's amazing how the internet helped with little problems like this.
I am not sure why some people choose to ask on a forum and not use Google, unless they tried Google already and did not find good enough or understandable answers.