Is my microcontroller damaged or PICKIT 2?

abhiananth

Joined Jul 24, 2014
I am using PIC16F877A microcontroller and PICKIT2 for downloading hex file into the microcontroller.

I bought this PICKIT 2 recently and I used it frequently.

Now I am getting error in it and not able to download the hex file into it.
vdd low voltage.jpg

The details are given below.

Placed the microcontroller in the PICKIT 2 zif socket and selected Tools -> Check Communication.
PICKIT 2 recognized the microcontroller.
pickit 2 communication check.jpg

I tried to import hex file. The following error message is displayed.
hex file import error.jpg

Then I selected Tools -> Troubleshoot. The troubleshoot window is opened.

Step 1 is to check Vdd voltage. The step 1 itself got failed. The PICKIT 2 showed 3.8V at Vdd. But while checking with multimeter, the Vdd voltage was 2.6. For the correct functioning, the voltage must be above 4.5V
troubleshoot step 1 fail.jpg

Step 2 is to check by providing 12V to Vpp pin of the microcontroller. When I clicked on Test Vpp button, PICKIT 2 displayed the following message:
‘Test failed:
VDD short detected.
VPP cannot be tested if a short exists on VDD.’
troubleshoot step 2 fail.jpg

Then I removed the microcontroller form PICKIT 2 zif socket and selected continuity option in multimeter and placed the probes in Vdd pin and Vss pin of the zif socket(if PIC16F877A were placed) of PICKIT 2. Multimeter doesn’t sense any continuity.

Then I checked continuity between (Vdd pin & Vss pin), (Vdd pin & Vdd pin) and (Vss pin & Vss pin) of the microcontroller. The multimeter detected the continuity and the buzzer sound is started.

Is my microcontroller damaged?

bzznxlad

Joined Dec 29, 2014
If something draws too much current from your PICkit2 then a short circuit is probably a cause. I suggest you checking your programmer with another microcontroller. You can also connect only the programmer to pc and from PC application level is possible to set level of Vdd voltage. Check how does Vdd voltage behave without any load.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Is the PIC inserted when you test the PICkit? If so, remove it and test the PICkit by itself.

You seen to suggest your PICkit has a ZIF socket. If so... neener neener, caught you using a clone!