Is it safe to touch a live AC wire?

#12

Joined Nov 30, 2010
18,224
I don't have enough capacitance to notice much at 230V 50Hz - but several kV at TV horizontal frequency is a different matter.
Definitely yes. I was working on a TV and the horizontal output tube had a top terminal and the plastic cap was cracked. The arc burnt a nice row of holes in my hand as I jerked it out of the way. The only ground on me was the capacitance to the planet through the soles of my shoes.
 

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
3,702
Also consider the electric power at 110kv or 220kv.

1mA at 220kv is the same power as 1 Amp at 220 = 220W and you get that point discharged pretty much.

Im just saying 1mA while I dont know how many mA will flow but definitely youd see and hear the spark.

Also low voltages rules dont apply bcz at high voltage body resistance is negible.

Even if it is a Megaohm = same as 1k Ohm at low voltage and once you get a puncture you no longer have a Megaohm surface resistance.

Always consider high voltage pylons carry Megawatts of power and this amount of power would set you on fire quickly, theres actually people who survived, but with serious burns.

The ordinary 10kv or 20kv also are not harmless and Id not recommend to touch it or go near it when its live.
 

Thread Starter

Bow Meiler

Joined Jun 19, 2017
5
Voltmeter.JPG
I have a doubt to clarify, if I put the measuring probe of a voltmeter between the positive terminal of a DC 24V source voltage and earth ground, will I get any voltage reading on the voltmeter?
I think the voltage reading should be zero cause there will be no current flowing to the Voltmeter seem the circuit is not closed loop, but just to double verify.
 
Top