Irobot Roomba IR signal receive

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
hi Dave,
I have already done a number of working projects using Arduino's and TSOP's, encoding/decoding etc.

I really want to know how Adam is planning to use TSOP's in his project.:)

E
Thank you ericgibbs.

I am prepare to make a IR control car, not start yet, its why I don't have a design plan.

There are lot of example online used IR remote control car, like the Irobot roomba originally posted in this topic, I'd like to know what protocol it used, maybe I can add a interface or add a new control to send more commands?

For the same purpose I asked in #7 if the 38 KHz modules can encode/decode, and I got an answer from #8 that the modules need a MCU.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Sorry. I saw a couple of mentions of Arduino and thought it might be helpful to show how simple the wiring is for a receiver. The transmitter is no more complicated, just an external IR LED and a resistor. I'll keep quiet and just watch from now on.
Thanks.
Yes, I'll try to use Arduino + 38 KHz modules to do the testing. I searched online it is easy to use a 38KHz receiver receive signal from an exacting IR remote, and even resend the signal by just a IR LED.
the #8 asking just to confirm that the modules can encode/decode themselves without a exacting IR remote.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Adam,
Your modules in post #7 are not limited/dedicated to 38kHz operation.
To transmit 38kHz using that TX module you need to have a 38kHz pulse gen [ either software or hardware] and the MCU will be required to Encode the signal onto the 38kHz basic signal.

It would make the design simpler if at the receiving end you used a TSOP RX that output the demodulated 38kHz as a digital signal for the MCU to decode.

E

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
some pictures update, I disassembled the Home Base, and the Roomba front bumper cover.
The home base shown one IR (emitter) on the top center, two IR emitters one in each side;
the Roomba just has one IR receiver in the front top.
how can it docking?

4230.1.png

4230.2.jpg4230.3.jpg

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Last edited:

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
There are two Virtual Walls with the machine as picture shown, the power button control its ON/OFF, my question how to control its ON/OFF by remote control? any solution?
possibly use a Arduino + 433 RC module?
Thanks.
22.3.jpg

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Adam,
I assume the units are battery powered.?
Make up a couple of 'piggy back' BLE receiver units that drive a MOS to bypass the switch, use your Mobile phone as the controller.
E

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
hi Adam,
I assume the units are battery powered.?
Make up a couple of 'piggy back' BLE receiver units that drive a MOS to bypass the switch, use your Mobile phone as the controller.
E
Thank you ericgibbs.
yes used two A batteries.
it is a good idea. I didn't find a MOS kind of:

p11.JPG
P1.jpg

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
hi A
How much current does the unit draw from the batteries, it's possible a transistor could be used instead of a MOS.
E
I didn't measure the current, kind of very small, two batteries used for many years. the only PCB as picture above front and back. there is a round black piece may be a controller? there is a IR receiver don't know function.

that is a momentary switch, any way to use a Arduino or NANO to short the momentary switch?
22.3.jpg

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
that is a momentary switch, any way to use a Arduino or NANO to short the momentary switch?
Hi A,
I would say only if the initial On and running current is less than 25mA.
It would be wiser to get a low cost transistor, say a 2N2222 and drive that from an Arduino IO pin.
E

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Hi,
let me pick up this topic again, the #32 shown the small pcb from the Virtual Walls.

is it possible to figure out a point that can measure the voltage difference before and after switch ON/OFF?

I have tested the pin of 'indicate LED', the pin of 'IR LED', the IR receiver LED pin, none of them works. that means no pin measured different V before and after power ON/OFF.

maybe there have one there?
Thanks
Adam

pcb1.1.jpg

Last edited:

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Great ericgibbs ! Thank you.
I'll check it, maybe make one. not sure if it can be controlled by an Arduino serial?
and it's circuit has an obvious switch which ON/OFF the circuit. The circuit in my post #32 seems doesn't work the same way, I measured all of the points, nearly all of them or got 3.7V no matter switch ON or OFF; or got no reading no matter switch ON or OFF. just two points got voltage difference: power ON read 2.4V, OFF 3.7V.
IR pcb F.jpg

I found some tutorials online like this one:
The thing is, the roomba I post here seems only recognized certain VW 400 serial, it doesn't recognize 500 serial roomba's VW for example by my test.

Last edited: