IRFP4468 and IRF7769

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by pjreijiri, May 3, 2017.

1. pjreijiri

Thread Starter Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Hello Everyone,
    I was using an IRFP4468 MOSFET, but it is a TO package. I wanted my PCB to look more sleek so I looked at the equivalent MOSFETs and if I can find an SMD package or at least something with a low profile.
    I found the IRF7769L2TR. I just want to make sure that I made the right decision or if there is something better.
    Plus if anyone can explain to me what are the characteristics I should keep an eye on when swapping MOSFETs.

Just in case someone asks, my load is 12V and 6A max. The voltage on the Gate is 12V as well (driven by IR2110)

2. Txema Molina

Apr 28, 2017
    Hello

The MOSFET you are using is for higher currents than 6 A, this means that your MOSFET will have much more parasitic capacitance. If you want to get ZVS, that would be a problem, if not...this just will increase your switching losses. Regarding your idea of substituting the MOSFET for having a sleek solution...Have you thought of lying the MOSFET on the PCB? Or even like this is too high?

3. pjreijiri

Thread Starter Member

Aug 19, 2015
    The height is not a problem, If I want to bend it, I will not have room on the PCB. I was hoping to just use SMD, and compared to a TO package, the DirectFET has a better look.
    I am using them to run a DC motor.
    If I want to pick a different MOSFET, what should I look at to reduce the the noise and losses?

4. Txema Molina

Apr 28, 2017
    Then, the problem is in the area of the PCB? The one that you have chosen will work, nevertheless, it is like the previous one, overprotected in terms of current. If you want something more fit to your 6 A, I will take a 10 A MOSFET, anyhow, if you don´t have problem with switching losses, just use the one that you post it before.

Regards