ir2153 based smps issue

Elpitrio

Joined Jan 9, 2020
Hello
I'm testing a ir2153 based smps powering a Audio Amp as it´s not powering the subwoofer. I have verified both MOSFETS drive by IR2153 are blown same as the IC, so I have replaced all of them. For the first attempt I disconnect the Amp for testing the PSU and connect a 100W series bulb for testing purposes.

When I switched on the mains supply the bulb turned on and turn off, oscillating all the time. Is that a normal behavior? does it mean that the IR2153 is providing output to the Mosfets with no issues or does it mean that there´s still any short or issue in the pcb?

I appreciate your help.

Elpitrio

Joined Jan 9, 2020
Thanks Eric,

Unfortunately I don't but it's a very standard designed as I have seen on the web a very similar one. Also attached a couple of pictures. See below.
Screenshot_20210922-203512_Samsung Internet.jpg20200105_232339.jpg
20191128_103156.jpg
Thanks

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
When I switched on the mains supply the bulb turned on and turn off, oscillating all the time. Is that a normal behavior?
What is the output current/power rating of the SMPS?. Many SMPS will go into a temporary self-protecting shut-down state if their load is excessive. Note that the start-up current of a cold tungsten bulb is several times its nomal hot running current.

Elpitrio

Joined Jan 9, 2020
I guess I did not explained myself properly. The load is not a Bulb but an Audio Amp. The bulb is connected in series for protection purposes.
When I switch on the psu, without the Amp connected (no load) the series bulb starts flickering,on and off continuously. It's supposed not to flash at all if no short-circuit is presented on the circuit? I hear the clicks from the IR2153 but I want to be sure that the circuit is ok before connecting the load without the series bulb protection....

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The bulb is connected in series
If it's intended to be in series with the audio amp but the amp is not connected then no current should flow and the bulb should not light at all. If the bulb lights then you must have a short-circuit somewhere.

Elpitrio

Joined Jan 9, 2020
Hi,
No, the 100w bulb is connected in series with the psu to avoid damage to any component in the board. The audio amp is not connected.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Your SMPS may be of the type which checks for some minimum load, turns itself off if no such load is found, then tests again for the load. Repeated tests could cause the lamp to flash. Try adding a dummy load.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
What help do you want? There is insufficient information in this thread so far to enable a diagnosis of the fault.
Btw, It's better to start your own thread, rather than hijack someone else's, particularly if the thread is old.

Welcome to AAC!
What help do you want? There is insufficient information in this thread so far to enable a diagnosis of the fault.
Btw, It's better to start your own thread, rather than hijack someone else's, particularly if the thread is old.
Hahah i didn't hijack it i am new so that's why actually i am building the same audio smps and i have a same problem the MOSFET is blown up and also some input diode also blown up i don't know what happening with the circuit and also i am beginner so please help me i think you are professional.
And am attaching the link to the website that i found it have the 50v 7amps SMPS circuit diagram and also the transformer winding details i asked the author but i didn't get what i am looking for.
https://www.homemade-circuits.com/smps-2-x-50v-350w-circuit-for-audio/#comments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
1) What is your mains voltage?
2) Which N-channel MOSFETs are you using?
3) Did you wind the transformer EXACTLY as set out in the linked article?
4) Which transformer core do you have?
5) What is the oscillation frequency (the article refers inconsistently to 50kHz and 80-90kHz)?
6) Are the voltage ratings of your electrolytic caps exactly as specified in the schematic?
7) Were your components obtained from a reputable supplier?
8) What test equipment do you have access to?

1) What is your mains voltage? (250v ac)
2) Which N-channel MOSFETs are you using? ( I am using 1200v 25a igbt )
3) Did you wind the transformer EXACTLY as set out in the linked article? (Yes)
4) Which transformer core do you have? (ETD Series ETD39 Cores)
5) What is the oscillation frequency (the article refers inconsistently to 50kHz and 80-90kHz)? (50khz)
6) Are the voltage ratings of your electrolytic caps exactly as specified in the schematic? (Yes)
7) Were your components obtained from a reputable supplier? (Yes)
8) What test equipment do you have access to? (Multimeter)