IR2111 MOSFET DRIVER and 6A BLDC

NikoFoX

Joined Sep 22, 2016
Hello,

I am still beginning my story with electronics, so not everything is clear for me.
I want to make electronic commutator to drive 3phase BLDC motor. 6 MOSFETS will work as commutator and I am still thinking about the way to drive them. My motor is 12V, 6A at most.
I found a serie from International Rectifier of MOSFET/IGBT half-bridge drivers and one of it is IR2111. The voltage is ok and understood, but not the current.
Datasheet says it outputs up to 250mA for high output and 500mA for low output, where high output is high side transistor, and low output is low side transistor, both in the same half-bridge. You can see it in the picture below:

But it doesn't say anything about the maximum current, that MOSFET can operate with.
Also, the pin Vs, is connected to the output of the bridge. It's descibed as "High side floating supply return". Still, it's connected to the load which will get 6A.

My question is: If I would want to drive my motor, which needs 6A current - will it be ok for the IR2111 driver? How can I say it does/it doesn't?
Will it not kill the IC?

Attachments

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The specs for the switching devices are what determine their capabilities.

What you are reading is just the IC's specs and they have nothing to do with the switching devices ratings.

As far as the IC is concerned it could care less if it was driving the gate of a 1 amp 20 volt mosfet o the gate of a 1200 volt 600 amp IGBT device.