IR sensor remotely wired

gutierrjg

Joined May 17, 2016
Hi There,
Can anyone give me some information on how to wire a IR sensor or any other sensor(5v and 3.3v output) that will be 50’ away of it controller? I’m planning to use a Arduino or any other controllers and to sensor in two different locations. Any information to follow will be appreciated.
Thanks

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Doubtful 5V is going to work over 50Ft, 3.3V is sure not to work. You are going to have to increase your voltage. Why not go wireless like Bluetooth for example?

gutierrjg

Joined May 17, 2016
Doubtful 5V is going to work over 50Ft, 3.3V is sure not to work. You are going to have to increase your voltage. Why not go wireless like Bluetooth for example?
Yes, that’s something I considered to do in the future, but If not other way around it I will do it now. Do you have any articles on that, that I can get more information. Thanks

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Bluetooth is not meant for over 33 feet most are lucky to do 15 to 20 feet in a house outside in the open 33 feet is about it.

IR sensor is very misleading a sensor or are you wanting remote control?

Like do you want see it some one walked up to the front door.
Or came around back.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Bluetooth is not meant for over 33 feet most are lucky to do 15 to 20 feet in a house outside in the open 33 feet is about it.

IR sensor is very misleading a sensor or are you wanting remote control?

Like do you want see it some one walked up to the front door.
Or came around back.

Good call. Forgot about that limitation. Maybe use repeaters?? ;)

Or Wifi? Maybe a bit over done.

There has to be some king of long distance RF for the Arduino that is easy to use. They have a module for everything.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
HC-06 Nice module easy to use just not much range tho.
I been using NRF24L01+ 2.4G WIRELESS TRANSCEIVER MODULE.
And the esp.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi There,
Can anyone give me some information on how to wire a IR sensor or any other sensor(5v and 3.3v output) that will be 50’ away of it controller? I’m planning to use a Arduino or any other controllers and to sensor in two different locations. Any information to follow will be appreciated.
Thanks
Are you hoping for the IR light to be sensed 50ft from the IR Source? Or are you running 50 feet if wire from your controller and IR Source and sensor are closely coupled?

gutierrjg

Joined May 17, 2016
Are you hoping for the IR light to be sensed 50ft from the IR Source? Or are you running 50 feet if wire from your controller and IR Source and sensor are closely coupled?
I’m trying to use a IR Infrared Obstacle Avoidance Sensor to activate a water spray system that will deter my dog from digging at a specific area of the backyard close to the house.
I will read all your post carefully tomorrow and comeback if I have any other questions.
Thank you all.!

gutierrjg

Joined May 17, 2016
The idea is to wire from the controller to the IR sensor unit. Even if the power supply it’s at the sensor, then I have to take the signal back to the controller or relay. I considered what spinnaker is sugesting, but still I wanted to know if there were a way to keep the supply 5v and output signal without going wireless. Maybe I’m complicating thing up.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Wireless sounds like the wrong approach, you still need power at the sensor.

Use an opto-coupler on the receiving end, convert the signal to a current. (10 ma or so)
This provides isolation and noise immunity.

You need a 3 wire cable:

+ Supply voltage
Signal
Ground

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
You need a PIR you put it to point to where the dog is digging and switch on the water a PIR would be the easy way to go.
Don't even need a arduino.

And one of these

Last edited: