IPSC practice shooting target with motion detector and siren

salkasalka

Joined Jan 12, 2012
Hello,
I would like to assembly IPSC practice shooting target with motion detector and siren, with adjustable countdown timer,

It should work like this :
target is placed into shooting range, timer is set in interval between (0,1 and 10 seconds, increment should be 0,1)
shooter will arrive on scene and target will detect him with motion detector,
after detection countdown timer should start counting down to zero,
if zero is reached and target was not shooted, siren should be activated,
there should be some circuit break if target is shooted (2 plates on target) or something like that

I've already ordered motion detector with siren, it's pretty simple, once motion is detected , siren is immediately activated, now I need some timer with 2 inputs :
1. motion detector was activated (starts countdown)
2. target was shot (so break countdown)
and
output :
run siren when countdown reaches zero
any ideas ?
:confused:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I shoot IDPA and ISPC

A shot timer would be cheaper to buy than to build, as it will have the random delay after the button is pressed and the buzzer to draw. It then shows draw time to first shot, time between shots, total shots, and total time (and more on some models).

Some targets are double tap, some are Mozambique drill (2 chest/1 head) on silhouette, and lots of poppers (steel discs, one shot) depending on the layout of the "shoot house" (actual walls and path in IDPA)

Trying to come up with an automatic scoring system would be difficult, but the shot timers are fairly cheap if you don't already have the equipment for electronics and microcontroller programming.

We just use total time through shoot house and (required hits - (hits - no-shoot hits)) * time for scoring.

I'm not sure how a PIR sensor would activate a countdown to shoot, as bad guys normally don't give you time. :eek:

salkasalka

Joined Jan 12, 2012
hi, basically this active target will be let's say "badguy" with desired "reaction time" which should be adjustable 0,1s to 10s, "badguy"'s awarness of situation will be motion detector, and siren would be his "shooting back" and failure for shooter

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
How much experience with electronics do you have? Do you have soldering iron, perfboard, easy access to parts (no location in profile, but I'm assuming US), DMM, oscilloscope, etc?

Do you want to time the period from the alert to first shot? (draw time)

Do you want to score a hit/miss? (need piezo sensors)

salkasalka

Joined Jan 12, 2012
I'll start with your last questions,
no, I don't want to measure draw time, and also I don't want to score hit/miss,
only basic stuff I've described, hit in time > no siren, not hit > siren and end for shooter
it won't be IPSC rules, let's say different shooting contest with different rules (I might change topic :) )
and I don't have experience with electronics, but I have friend of mine which has lot of experience but can't speak english, he told me to search web to find some circuits for timer and he is willing to try to build this

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
How do you want the timer to time? The time from the buzzer going off until a gunshot is registered as a loud sound?

This will most likely be a microcontroller project, something such as a PICAXE which is programmed in the BASIC language, and there are many development boards available for it in the $20 to $30 range, no other stuff needed besides the serial programming cable (often included) and a PC running Windows for the software.

Is that beyond you or your friend's capabilities?