iphone xs, locked to fREEDOM MOBILE

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
I got an iphone 10 from a co Mobile Base in VANCOUVER BC. For some reason, it came locked to fREEDOM MOBILE which is an ISP. However, my ISP is Rpgers but now cannot get the phone which cost @$650 to work. Mobile B says to ask Freedom to unlock, Freedom says to ask Mobile to unlock. Rogers says it can'd do anything. ANYONE with any advice? THANKS

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The company that sold you the phone is responsible. They can't unlock the phone, that's a matter for Freedom Mobile. The person who sold the phone to Mobile Base must have had a contract with Freedom and had not purchased the phone (yet). The reason it is locked is because it is, effectively, Freedom Mobile's phone.

Mobile Base can't unlock the phone but they sold you a locked phone which, if they represented it as usable on Rogers' network, was fraudulent. Tell Mobile Base that if they can't get the phone unlocked for you, you will return the phone for a full refund—since it was sold to you under false pretense—and buy one somewhere else.

They will have to deal with Freedom Mobile, which they probably can't do unless they are willing to buy out the phone from them. But unless they agree to do it immediately, or to give you the equivalent phone that is unlocked, you should get your money and walk away as fast as you can.

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
The company that sold you the phone is responsible. They can't unlock the phone, that's a matter for Freedom Mobile. The person who sold the phone to Mobile Base must have had a contract with Freedom and had not purchased the phone (yet). The reason it is locked is because it is, effectively, Freedom Mobile's phone.

Mobile Base can't unlock the phone but they sold you a locked phone which, if they represented it as usable on Rogers' network, was fraudulent. Tell Mobile Base that if they can't get the phone unlocked for you, you will return the phone for a full refund—since it was sold to you under false pretense—and buy one somewhere else.

They will have to deal with Freedom Mobile, which they probably can't do unless they are willing to buy out the phone from them. But unless they agree to do it immediately, or to give you the equivalent phone that is unlocked, you should get your money and walk away as fast as you can.
Thanks - very useful. I am thinking of making a complaint but don't know which authority to complain to, that governs mobile phones.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks - very useful. I am thinking of making a complaint but don't know which authority to complain to, that governs mobile phones.
I am not familiar with Canadian agencies but in principle you want ”consumer protection” and I would expect anything you find like that would be able to refer you to whoever is best suited to help.