IOIO OTG anyone ?

yuvi1

Joined Feb 1, 2013
Hi guys, sorry if i post in the wrong section, im not sure which...

I have searched the internet for a microcontroller-based kit except ARDUINO because my preferred programming language is JAVA,
someone familiar with this board and have an experience with it ? I want to know more about it before i buy...

here is the link :

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12633

Thanks !

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi yuvi1,

I purchased that board a while back and must say I very much enjoy it. However, it's not really a standard microcontroller board like the Arduino. It is a bluetooth interface so that you can control hardware with your mobile device (Androd programming is done in Java). You cannot program the on-board chip directly in Java, if this is what you had in mind. Programming a micro with Java is very difficult because of how the compiler handles the code. Most microcontrollers require binary code, so the C compilers you find convert your C code to binary. Java, on the other hand, compiles to something called bytecode, which is effectively binary code on steroids. It contains information for how the Java virtual machine should run the code, as well as the code itself. This really isn't compatible with most microcontrollers. I have not heard of any micros that can be programmed using Java. That being said, I believe the Raspberry Pi can be programmed using Java, and it has a few GPIO (general purpose input/output) pins that you may be able to control. I don't think this is really what you want. The RPi is basically a miniature Linux computer.

Matt