inversion of signal into active baxandall tone control

dumbretard123

Joined Jun 18, 2024
inverted?.jpg

Hello. n00b here. Just fiddling around with tone controls in LTspice and was wondering why the output is inverted and what I could do to prevent it.
I tried putting a second inverting buffer before the input, to no avail. Best regards.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
The first question is ........ why do You care that the Output is inverted ?

OOps, I just figured it out .......
I suppose You are wanting to measure and Graph the Frequency-Response-Curves.
( otherwise it really wouldn't make any difference that they are out of Phase )

If You already put an Inverting-Op-Amp before the existing Input,
and it didn't put things back in Phase,
then You were simply measuring the wrong Node for your Scope,s "Circuit-Input" display-channel.

The Input-Op-Amp can be reconfigured to be in an Inverting configuration with no changes to Circuit performance other
than possibly the Input-Impedance, which shouldn't be a problem in either case.

I've included my saved version just for your entertainment.
3 Band Tone Control 2 .png

Last edited:

dumbretard123

Joined Jun 18, 2024
then You were simply measuring the wrong Node for your Scope,s "Circuit-Input" display-channel.
uh, I'm afraid I don't really understand.
what do you mean by 'node'? there is only one input signal at the 'v in' reference point.
Also, the potentiometer doesn't do anything. where would be the ideal position? at the output?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The inversion of the phase is inaudible to the ear, as long as the same inversion is applied to both channels in a stereo system.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
A "Node" is a specific "point" in a Circuit,
( which in reality includes any conductors connected to that point,
but are not on the opposing side of any Electronic-Component ).

You stated .......... "" I tried putting a second inverting buffer before the input, to no avail. ""
Does this mean that the output was NOT inverted from it's previous state after
placing an additional Inverting-Op-Amp inline with the Input ?

This is an impossibility, unless You are measuring from some place other than the Input.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
"" I tried putting a second inverting buffer before the input, to no avail. ""

I don't see any second, ( or third ), Inverting-Buffer in any of your provided Schematics.

Are You aware of how easy it is to change
an Op-Amp-Buffer from "Non-Inverting", to "Inverting", and vice-versa ?

Also, You can not only reduce Non-Inverting-Op-Amp-Gain by using a Voltage-Divider on the Input,
but You can also alter the Feedback-Resistors, (or remove them ), to achieve a Gain of "1".

Every Buffer provides an opportunity to add fixed High and Low-Frequency-Filters,
You really should take advantage of these opportunities.

BTW, your Schematic-Photos are extremely small, and therefore, very hard, or sometimes impossible, to read.

Last edited:

dumbretard123

Joined Jun 18, 2024
hi d123,
Is this the non-inverting version you are requesting?
Woah. Thanks for going through that effort! Yes, I think this is what I had in mind. The phase is just like the input. Though I don't understand why it needs another opamp for that? My thinking was that an inverting amp before U2 should suffice to bring the singnal back to its original phase.
The power amplifier (LM1875) that I'm planning to use in conjunction with this tone control/preamp wouldn't invert the input, as far as I'm aware.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Your inversion problem arises because you have attached the Vin net-node label at two places: to V4 and to R1, thus effectively shorting out U1. Detach it from R1.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
"" The power amplifier (LM1875) that I'm planning to use in conjunction with this tone control/preamp
wouldn't invert the input, as far as I'm aware. ""

Unless You are trying to discern varying Amplitudes in the Waveforms when the Tone-Control-Pots are turned,
there is no need to be concerned about polarity,
as long as the Left and Right-Channels are constructed in exactly the same manner.

If the Left and Right-Channels are identical,
the Polarity of the Circuit may be flipped any number of times
with absolutely zero detectable change in the Sound-Quality.

Do You have concerns with using these Amplifiers with an existing "Surround-Sound-System ?