Interval timer with divider

Littlechay

Joined Feb 26, 2024
HI, I'm looking for a quick and dirty circuit for timer that can beep at certain intervals (between say 5 and 30 seconds) the circuit should also include a divider so that every interval at the radio set by the divider is a different beep (a long beep for example). So.. if you set the divider switch(es) to 4 you would get Beep... beep.... beep .... Beeeeeeeeeeeep ... beep with the interval between always remaining constant as set by, probably, a pot. Any ideas?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Lot's of ways to do this. The simplest, in most ways, is to use a small microcontroller. You can get one with a ADC to measure the voltage on the output of a pot to get your basic rate, and then use digital inputs to capture the present state of the divider switches, and then generate whatever waveform you want to send it to your output device, which could be something like a piezo buzzer.

But you have to invest the time and resources to learn how to program the micro and be able to physically do so.

Lots of alternatives there, ranging from something like an Arduino or RPi to an 8-bit PIC MCU.

If you want to do it without any type of programmable logic, then you are still going to have to invest some effort at some level -- there's no free ride.

What the best solution for you, right now, depends on a lot of factors, including what your objective is in wanting this, how robust you want it to be, do you want to be able to make changes to it later, do you ever want do other projects in the future, etc., etc.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
every interval at the radio set by the divider is a different beep (a long beep for example). So.. if you set the divider switch(es) to 4 you would get Beep... beep.... beep .... Beeeeeeeeeeeep
So how many "quick and dirty" different divider settings do you want before the long beep occurs?

Littlechay

Joined Feb 26, 2024
What the best solution for you, right now, depends on a lot of factors, including what your objective is in wanting this, how robust you want it to be, do you want to be able to make changes to it later, do you ever want do other projects in the future, etc., etc.
Not looking for a free ride thanks. I was looking for a quick and dirty circuit that I could bash together yesterday afternoon. Sure I can do it with an ESP32 or Arduino but not as easy to get hold as some 555 timers and a couple of counters. I had a lot on my plate, a ship was literally about to sail and needed a timer, and thought it was worth an ask. Thanks for the moral guidance, but you didn't otherwise contribute anything did you!