Intermittent Relay...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Bill, I'm not intending to nitpick here. I think your drawings would make a lot more sense if you made a few changes. As it was, your timing diagrams were confusing to me. Attached are my suggestions, with the changes circled (ovalled?) in red.
The moving hand writes, and having written, moved on.

I don't know what FOS is, but whatever it was, you were it.

Sorry about that.

As for the changes, you're right, it wasn't something I spent a lot of time on. Right now my job wants me 7 days a week, I give them 6. :D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
What is wrong with the schematic I drew? You can use the match included to make changes.

I think I picked up on what Ron was trying to tell me, on/off is reversed in the circuit I drew.

aq_rules

Joined Oct 28, 2009
and one more question "the components u mentioned in the diagram are for the timing i require? and wats CR1? diode? which one?? nd tell wats Q1" cuz 2day m goin to electronic store to buy all this...

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I need to double check the schematic, it may be off.

The diode can be almost any silicon diode, it is low power. It separates the two resistors, which the cap being a common part between the two times (on/off).

aq_rules

Joined Oct 28, 2009
sorry bro,:(
now i dun want to use it on wiper motor i want to connect a relay in this circuit...using it for other purpose but the time duration nd whole thing will remain same...:)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
sorry bro,:(
now i dun want to use it on wiper motor i want to connect a relay in this circuit...using it for other purpose but the time duration nd whole thing will remain same...:)
If you don't use a wiper motor then it will not go to the same place when it stops. This is a function of the wiper motor, it has the stop switches inside. There isn't an easy way to do this with the timer.

Anyhow, I'll be back with a revised schematic.

2 seconds on, 5 seconds minimum off, 30 seconds max off.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008

My mistake was the signal was inverted. This fixes that.

CR1 can be almost any regular low power or high power diode. CR2 needs to be at least a medium power diode, such as a 1N4001. Almost any N-Ch MOSFET will work.

Attachments

aq_rules

Joined Oct 28, 2009
i dun want it to be connected to a wiper....m now using this circuit for another purpose...just want the relay to switch on for 2 second and 5secs and max 30 sec as u said...

aq_rules

Joined Oct 28, 2009
bill it will repeat the cycle again and again....like 2 seconds on 5 seconds off then 2 seconds nd 5 sec off and so on...??

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The 7555 is a CMOS 555 (it uses CMOS transistors). It will work for this application, but not for many others.

An NE555 is an older version (uses BJT transistors), and will also work for this application. The older version of 555 has a few problems, but in improving the chip some new problems were created.

The NE555 will drive LEDs directly and doesn't go between the power supply rails, while the CMOS 555 uses a lot less juice, goes rail to rail, and can't drive LEDs.very well.