Interfacing a microcontroller with a PC using serial port

hammy

Joined Mar 8, 2007
Hi friends,
I'm doing a project on data acquisition where i need to interface an ADC with a microcontroller and then this microcontroller with a PC where in the values are to be displayed.
The first part is finished but i have very little idea about interfacing 8051, which i'm using with the PC. I know C language
(alas! never did microcontroller programming) and have 10 days time in my hand to learn and implement. I need to develop the code where in the data obtained is displayed on the PC in real time. I'm planning to go for RS232 communication using MAX 232 IC.I'm using the 89c51 IC.
I'd be grateful to anyone who can help me with this.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
1. Tell the ADC to convert.
2. Get the number from the ADC.
3. (optional) Convert or scale the number to engineering units.
4. Send the data to the MAX233, which should then be set up to transmit to the PC.

Look for example porgrams the work with ADC's and that send serial data.

hammy

Joined Mar 8, 2007
Thank u friends for the replies ...as i have said the interfacing of the ADC with the microcontroller is finished....
The problem is interfacing the microcontroller to the PC and display the data transmitted from the 89C51 (which i'm using) on the monitor...

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
Interfacing microcontroller to the PC? Thought you have mentioned using RS232 communincation. Just hook up the 8051 Tx pin to the Tin of the MAX232 and the Rx pin to the Rin of the MAX232. Connect these to pin (2) and (3) of the PC D-9 connector.