Inserting vs attaching images in posts

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
Above the message concocting window one is presented with the options to "Insert Link" and "Insert Image".

I elected the latter in a post on the "Your Workbench" thread. It appears as a hyperlink.

What is the difference, then, between the two options?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Above the message concocting window one is presented with the options to "Insert Link" and "Insert Image".

I elected the latter in a post on the "Your Workbench" thread. It appears as a hyperlink.

What is the difference, then, between the two options?
Hi David,

The difference relates to the way the images are previewed. A link is just that a link, whereas an image will give a thumbnail (if I could find the option to enable it properly - it works if you aren't logged in, go figure!). In thingmaker3's example they look the same because of the forum settings - I really should play around with this to get it to work right.

Same url used for both of the following:

"Insert link" gives a result which looks like this: http://home.comcast.net/~berkanahouse/Thingmaking/CrazyUnlceLee.jpg

"Insert image" gives a result which looks like this:

That's MY beer, by the way. Mine. Not yours.
Lol!! Gimme-gimme-gimme! :D

Have we finally been able to put a face to the name? :cool:

Dave

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Have we finally been able to put a face to the name? :cool:
Only if you add a decade of graying...

It might be good to point out the paper-clip which lets us upload attachments from hard-drive. A jpg or gif attachment will show up as an image in the post. I suspect other formats might as well. Bitmaps don't.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Only if you add a decade of graying...
*Gets out Photoshop!* :D

It might be good to point out the paper-clip which lets us upload attachments from hard-drive. A jpg or gif attachment will show up as an image in the post. I suspect other formats might as well. Bitmaps don't.
I will add one further method: On the Reply to Topic screen (accessed from the Post Reply button on the forums), scroll down to Additional Options section and click the Manage Attachments button - this will launch a new window from where you can add files (including most image types) to the bottom of your post.

As can be seen, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Dave