Input and Output Impedance Help

setsunaseiei

Joined Mar 25, 2009
Is there a trick to increase the input impedance of a CE amp and decrease the output impedance provided the required gain?
If its multistage, how come when I AC couple 2 CE amps, the first stage gets clipped? How can I decrease the effect of loading on my circuit?
I think it's about the impedances but I'm a neophyte when it comes to this.
Thanks.
V/ (~c~).

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
You can increase the input impedance by adding a feedback resistor to the emitter. If your RE is say, 1k, you can put a 100 ohm resistor in series with 900 ohms and put your bypass cap between them. Here you sacrifice gain for high input resistance. But design for the right gain in the first place.

You can increase the input resistance with negative feedback from the output, but you're not ready for that, I think. And, anyway it, too, reduces gain. Gain is always being traded for other benefits with feedback.

You can increase input resistance by using a small Ic and base biasing resistors, but too small an Ic limits your amp's ability to drive the load.

But your clipping may be fixable by another method. Post your circuit then you'll get a lot of response from the technical gurus in this forum. ;)

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
You can increase the input impedance by adding a feedback resistor to the emitter. If your RE is say, 1k, you can put a 100 ohm resistor in series with 900 ohms and put your bypass cap between them. Here you sacrifice gain for high input resistance. But design for the right gain in the first place.

You can increase the input resistance with negative feedback from the output, but you're not ready for that, I think. And, anyway it, too, reduces gain. Gain is always being traded for other benefits with feedback.

You can increase input resistance by using a small Ic and base biasing resistors, but too small an Ic limits your amp's ability to drive the load.

But your clipping may be fixable by another method. Post your circuit then you'll get a lot of response from the technical gurus in this forum. ;)
Adding a feedback resistor in the emittier will indeed increase the input impedance but it WON'T decrease the output impedance. An emitter resistor gives you CURRENT feedback. Voltage feedback WILL do both things for you, though.

Eric

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
All too true, KL7AJ. I focused on the input impedence only. You're right, feedback will decrease the output impedence. You can also decrease it by reducing Rc.

I think all these variables of gain vs this and that is what keeps electronics engineers in demand. :)