Infrared sensor SHARP 10-80 cm GP2Y0A21YK0F opinions

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Hi guys!

Has anyone actually used this sensor, is it good? I in particularly want to know what will happen under 10cm and if necessary what to replace the sensor with. It will be used for a parktronik device for a vehicle.

Specification:
Code:
Model: GP2Y0A21YK0F
Scanning range: 10-80 cm
Output: Analog (0.4-1.9V)
Voltage: 4.5-5.5V
Current: 30mA
Wire length: 10 cm

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have not used that particular version myself. Sharp was one of the early entrants in the field, and I have seen several projects based on it. For a similar application (reflectance IR), I used a Vishay detector and an ordinary IT emitter. My orientation was different and range needed was considerably shorter..

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Please give me the part numbers?

EDIT:
The other option is to use this sensor for door locking, I don't know if will measure well from 0 to 6m and give a good voltage.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The sensor was a Vishay TSOP32138. I have no part number for the emitter. It was a surplus device from Electronics Goldmine in Arizona, circa 2005. It was so long ago that I used a pair of 555's to flash the emitter with the correct pulse pattern. Detection was decoded with a PIC12F509 (my first MCU project). Anyway, it worked in bright sunlight for several years until I stopped actively flying model sailplanes. Here's a picture. The emitter is what's visible, the detector is mounted below the smoked plastic.

1589049931274.png

Its purpose was to detect the position of the cam that is shown right above it.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
On ebay I will buy the whole system for 10-15 USD. I am beginning to wonder what is the point of being hardware engineers, it costs more to build it from parts.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Agreed. If it's available, it is probably much cheaper to buy. In my case, nothing similar was available and is still not available, since the controller did other things too.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
You can check it here. There are versions with 8 sensors too, but they are double the price.

EDIT: since its not going to work with an infra red sesnsor. I will try with an ultra sonic one, I receive bad reviews for them and I am told they don't work well, but no option.

How to waterproof
this?

Last edited: