Inductor or Choke as an On/Off Magnet

PIC-User

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Hi all,

I'm working on a project where I need to have an electronic component on the PCB board that works like an On/Off magnet. I need the magnetic field to be perpendicular to the PCB board surface. Has anyone ever used an inductor or a choke coil for this type of application? Is there any other component intended for this use?

I can't use a PCB edged coil since I need to have a magnetic field that's a little bit stronger capable of holding a small piece of metal or a small magnet. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You may want to look at reed switch test coils or contact a manufacturer like Hamlin (now owned by Littlefuse) and speak with one of their applications engineers. You will need to provide some approximate dimensions and the field strength you are looking for to accomplish whatever it is you have in mind.

Ron

PIC-User

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Max,
I'm using 5V from a USB connection in my board. I'm trying to atach/detach a 1/8" x 1/2" neodymium disk magnet.

Ron,
I looked at your suggestion, but that looks like overkill for what I need. Do you think that a choke coil would do it? I haven't test it yet. I need to order some first.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Ron,
I looked at your suggestion, but that looks like overkill for what I need. Do you think that a choke coil would do it? I haven't test it yet. I need to order some first.
I really don't know as to using a choke. I do know that USB available current might be limited so any chokes you try using to create a magnetic field will have to draw less current than you will have to work with. Wish I could be of more help as to using a choke. :(

Ron

PIC-User

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Max, I don't see how a hall sensor might help me with this project. What I'm trying to do is to replicate the experiment done in the youtube video below. The downside with the way that it was done in this video is that they needed 5 Amps. It can be done with a lot less current if the proper configuration is chosen.