Increase frequency for high voltage

HarryH

Joined Nov 13, 2013
Hello,

I am wondering what way is the best way to increase frequency of high voltage in AC signal , assuming we have 60Hz 2kVAC input. My goal is raising the frequency so that it can charge capacitors faster. Any thought?

Thanks,

HarryH

Joined Nov 13, 2013
I actually use it to charge capacitors for my voltage multiplier, which requires to have an AC input frequency around few hundred kHz.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Maybe start with something like a 48 VDC supply, power oscillator & transformer to kick it up to 2 kV AC?
What is final DC output V & current?

HarryH

Joined Nov 13, 2013
My goal is 20kVDC and 0.5mA output.

I was trying to use 120VAC/60Hz input into 15x voltage multiplier but the voltage output stop increasing after the stage 2. My assumption is that 60Hz is not a proper frequency for the circuitry, so I want to give it a shot of 500kHz to see if it helps solve the issue.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
500 kHz is the low end of the AM radio band???.
An audio oscillator, a power amplifier, and perhaps a microwave oven transformer to get you into the low kilo volt range, but iron inductors will keep your useful freq range well under 20 kHz.

I think you are asking about power transmission signals. VFD is the better example for that or variable frequency drives for AC motors. VFD are present in one phase and three phase that power up to 100of HP. It takes 50-60 hz power and converting it to DC and following with a inverter.