In-line volume control doesn't work on new headphones

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I bought these MonoPrice headphones: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13191

They work fine, except I didn't realize that they don't come with a cable to split the stereo output and microphone input, which I need for my PC in order for the microphone to work. Currently, I've plugged it into my PC's headphone jack, and just can't use the microphone until I get a splitter.

However, I noticed that the in-line control button isn't adjusting the volume, so they're set at their 100% internal value and just 20% volume on my PC is extremely loud. When I plug them into my Android phone which has a combined headphone/microphone port, the in-line control works and acts as a play/pause button.

So my question is: Do I need the splitter for the in-line volume control to work as well on my PC? If it would, I'll definitely get a splitter so that I can use it and the microphone, but if not I'll probably return the headphones.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I don't believe the inline control will work unless the source can understand the control signal that is generated by you pressing the button, and then respond to that signal. A smartphone knows, but most PCs probably don't.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I don't believe the inline control will work unless the source can understand the control signal that is generated by you pressing the button, and then respond to that signal. A smartphone knows, but most PCs probably don't.
So how do the volume control buttons on my keyboard work?