importing mouser/digikey footprint into kicad

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Looking back, I realized I never worked a day in my life, if it did turn into work, I tended to move on!
I ended up at the finish, working for my self.
The bottom line is, in the end, you have to enjoy it.
Max.
quoting a character from the 80's has added no redeeming value to my question. If mod please delet

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Looking back, I realized I never worked a day in my life, if it did turn into work, I tended to move on!
I ended up at the finish, working for my self.
The bottom line is, in the end, you have to enjoy it.
Max.
no offense i also always hated that character. Even as a kid i thought he was creepy.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It's just a zipped dxf file. A quick search revealed that KiCad 5.0 is supposed to be able to import them. Earlier versions seemed to require going through some hoops with FreeCad or the like. Here's a YT on it, but I suggest just search on importing dxf into KiCad:

I am assuming you unzipped it first.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Just an aside, I find that guy on Conceptual Electronics has a lousy instructional manner. very disjointed, most of his videos.
Max.
So? Does that mean KiCad cannot import a DXF? If so, that is a serious failing unless it offers a decent design CAD as part of its electronics. I have not seen one. With Eagle, for example, I cannot imagine making a board outline to fit an complex or a complicated footprint without using my design CAD and importing it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So? Does that mean KiCad cannot import a DXF? If so, that is a serious failing unless it offers a decent design CAD as part of its electronics. I have not seen one. With Eagle, for example, I cannot imagine making a board outline to fit an complex or a complicated footprint without using my design CAD and importing it.
I was just referring to the instructor, not the subject.
As to Kicad, I mostly use the older version as my main PC has XP professional, I only use my WIN10 PC when I absolutely have to as I detest win10.
So far I have had no issues creating or adapting from an existing footprint, once getting adept with it, it is very quick and easy, plus maybe a DXF is not always available.
There are many posts BTW on the Kicad Forum on making a footprint from a DXF etc.
Max.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
So strange Kicad wont import DXF files in the foot print editor its there but I cant import it. The option is grayed out.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Frankly I may restart the project. I am getting concerned that if it won't allow me to work with file types in a way that seems normal. Is it going to let me export the final product?

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Ok wait so it will import the file onto the PCB but not in the foot print editor witch makes not much sense!

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
That was allot harder than I would have thought. I have a quick question though I may not be able to run traces to the center lugs how will it effect a signal run threw the switch if the PTH has no connections. this will just add a little resistance right.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Ok wait so it will import the file onto the PCB but not in the foot print editor witch makes not much sense!
Agreed.
That was allot harder than I would have thought. I have a quick question though I may not be able to run traces to the center lugs how will it effect a signal run threw the switch if the PTH has no connections. this will just add a little resistance right.
Does "that" mean you got it imported? In Eagle (and I suspect other EDA), the PCB and Device Library operate a little differently. When ones views a PCB, it is also editable (if not locked). When one just views a footprint, it is not editable. Instead, one must open the device library in an editable mode. That makes sense to me.

As for your question about bringing traces to the center lugs, you will need to post a picture to illustrate. That switch is relatively huge, and I see no problem is routing to those center lugs even on a 1-sided board, much less a 2-sided board with PTH.

Maybe you are right about restarting. Seems progress has been quite slow.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Agreed.

Does "that" mean you got it imported? In Eagle (and I suspect other EDA), the PCB and Device Library operate a little differently. When ones views a PCB, it is also editable (if not locked). When one just views a footprint, it is not editable. Instead, one must open the device library in an editable mode. That makes sense to me.

As for your question about bringing traces to the center lugs, you will need to post a picture to illustrate. That switch is relatively huge, and I see no problem is routing to those center lugs even on a 1-sided board, much less a 2-sided board with PTH.

Maybe you are right about restarting. Seems progress has been quite slow.
I did get it to import. First you have to import it onto the PCB layout then you can get it back into the foot print layout. IDK why it works that way but that is what worked. The spacing was a little off on your rough, so I did it manually. Took a few hours. The physical switch, I have one btw, is about .2 mm smaller than the specs given all around when measured with my calipers. Also I think you were using the PC threw hole spacing not the lug spacing. I assume .2 mm is some kind of standard difference for this kind of thing. I hope what you said is accurate I will try to route to the switch directly. I should be ready to do the PCB design next session. If that does not work I will go with plan B and use a jumper wire off of header pins to get to the center lugs. Either way thanks for all the help, your awsome.

:)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't have a clue what you are referring to in the dimensions. Here is a dimensioned version of what I posted (I added a center mark):

1601200598444.png
The lugs are 0.8 mm x 2 mm. I suggest for a round hole at least 2.2 mm diameter or the rectangular pins will not fit. Which dimensions do you think are wrong?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
And here's a snippet showing the package outline:

1601201555531.png
Notice, the pins (looking at the bottom) are numbered 1,2,3 starting at the lower right to upper right; then 4,5,6 for the next column over. Of course on the PCB, you will be looking from the top, so you will have to take that into account, i.e., lower left will be pin 1.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have uploaded a footprint for your device. It is done in Eagle 7.2. Solder lugs are in a t-document layer and should not print. Pads are 2.2 mm drill. You may want to increase outside diameter to get a little more copper. I believe the critical spacings are correct, but you need to check them. Device outline is layer 21, t-outline.

Attachments

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
I have uploaded a footprint for your device. It is done in Eagle 7.2. Solder lugs are in a t-document layer and should not print. Pads are 2.2 mm drill. You may want to increase outside diameter to get a little more copper. I believe the critical spacings are correct, but you need to check them. Device outline is layer 21, t-outline.
Well thank you but my footprint is complete at this time as is the schematic. As far as my comment on the spacing goes. I took physical measurements from the actual switch and its .2mm smaller than the specs. The lugs are .6mm x 1.8mm wide. I kinda feel like I got it, at this point I just need to do the traces on the pcb and order a test.