importing mouser/digikey footprint into kicad

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
So, I think the subject says it all I am trying to get the foot print for component below into Ki cad, and I have had no luck. I am doing it on my linux box so that is a consideration. I can put the software on my windows machine for sure but I have already started my schematic on this box. Any suggestions on how to do this would be great. Its most likely one of the digikey export formats will work fine I just don't know the common vernacular.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=M2042LL1G01

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NKK-Switches/M2042LL1G01?qs=4aju4I0isUmc5JunK7xDrQ==

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Shouldn't take any more than about 10 -15mins to just use the manuf spec sheet for sizes and build the footprint with Module Editor?
Max.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Are you wanting a PCB foot print or the 3D view "free cad" thing.

I use FreeCAD to do the 3D view. I noticed the switch you linked to is in CADENAS format. FreeCAD can import many formats. Good luck.

I am looking for a foot print mostly so I can design my first pcb I suppose I could make one.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Shouldn't take any more than about 10 -15mins to just use the manuf spec sheet for sizes and build the footprint with Module Editor?
Max.
That is about where I am at with it. It sucks because there are so many options on digikey for a foot print. I haven't gone threw them all but none of them seem to be the same file type that Kicad takes! I am not married to Kicad is there another design program that the presented options line up with? Any help would be great thanks.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You seem to have some options:
1) Import a real footprint (the Digikey link is just to the datasheet) for a DPDT switch, and copy and paste to make it a 4PDT;
2) Most of those footprints use round PTH, which for solder lugs work, but don't really fit well; and
3) Make your own footprint with plated through slots in KiCad.

As I understand it, the Gerber CAM for KiCad supports plated through slots; Eagle's (ver. <8.0) does not). In any event PTS is quite common today and all board houses support it, if properly presented,

My choice would be PTS. If your are serious about electronics, you will eventually build your own library of parts and rarely use unreliable junk from the Internet..

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
You seem to have some options:
1) Import a real footprint (the Digikey link is just to the datasheet) for a DPDT switch, and copy and paste to make it a 4PDT;
2) Most of those footprints use round PTH, which for solder lugs work, but don't really fit well; and
3) Make your own footprint with plated through slots in KiCad.

As I understand it, the Gerber CAM for KiCad supports plated through slots; Eagle's (ver. <8.0) does not). In any event PTS is quite common today and all board houses support it, if properly presented,

My choice would be PTS. If your are serious about electronics, you will eventually build your own library of parts and rarely use unreliable junk from the Internet..

Learn something new every day. Guess for what I want 3 is the only thing that makes sense thanks.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Why would you want to ditch the program when all it would take is a few minutes?
Maybe check one of the, many, tutorials if not sure how. You probably will need it in the future anyhow.
Have you built footprint so far?
What version are you using?.
I find that Kicad does everything I want and there is also the Kicad forum for further help.
Max.

I've just never done it so you know gotta be tough if your gonna be dumb.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
PTS does make sense, if it is supported. Otherwise, it can be like soldering a wire across the diameter of a large hole. Doing the latter is really not that hard, but big holes take up space and clearance can be an issue.

For your device, a round PTH hole would need to be at least 2.2 mm diameter for a snug fit (about 0.05 mm clearance). You may want to go a little bigger, like 2.3 mm. I have attached a dxf of the pins, if that helps. Had to zip it to upload. I show 2.2 mm circles around two pins. There is plenty of clearance for using round pads, if you wish. Dimensions are in mm.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I've just never done it so you know gotta be tough if your gonna be dumb.
There is DIP sockets with elongated holes (ELL) you could use as a template, many board manuf. can only make oval plated holes due to drill/mill usage.
At some point you need to make your own footprint, these seems like a good opportunity.
(Use right click to set the grid spacing) ;)
Max.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
PTS does make sense, if it is supported. Otherwise, it can be like soldering a wire across the diameter of a large hole. Doing the latter is really not that hard, but big holes take up space and clearance can be an issue.

For your device, a round PTH hole would need to be at least 2.2 mm diameter for a snug fit (about 0.05 mm clearance). You may want to go a little bigger, like 2.3 mm. I have attached a dxf of the pins, if that helps. Had to zip it to upload. I show 2.2 mm circles around two pins. There is plenty of clearance for using round pads, if you wish. Dimensions are in mm.
Thanks allot that is super cool of you. I am not on the project box right now but i will take the time to poke around at the file when I am.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Thanks allot that is super cool of you. I am not on the project box right now but i will take the time to poke around at the file when I am.
I don't use KiCad, just Eagle prior to version 8.0. However, there are probably sufficient similarities that some of my hints may help. For example, when I import a dxf for some object/package with critical dimensions, I always include a "center" mark. That is usually a point of symmetry. Then after importing, I line that up with the Eagle center. KiCad may do that automatically. The advantage of doing that is when checking final dimensions, left and right or up and down positions are very similar but with different signs.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019

Funny kicad wont recognize that file even though it can import eagl project files? the confusalator got us again.