Image Processing with Matlab - Dashed line

chaosweapon

Joined Nov 14, 2008
I have a black and white dashed line with some noise in the background (example attached). Any ideas how can I identify the line (assuming that I already know a point on the line)? Please note the the line can also be curved so I think the gradient would be useless in that case.

Attachments

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Is the line continuous, without any breaks in its path? If it is so, track it from its adjacent points.

And how exactly do you want to identify it? What do you mean my that?

chaosweapon

Joined Nov 14, 2008
The image is not continuous because it is dashed. Look at the example image I attached in the first post. The line starts from the left-side. If you look carefully you will notice that it consists of 3 segments. The rest is noise. I want Matlab to point out which pixels are noise and which ones belong to the line.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
If I'm not mistaken, you can access the image pixels one by one. Detect one portion of the line, maybe through the way I told you, about adjacent pixels, and then formulate a ponynomial line to extend it to the whole image. Within some error margin, you could search for line pieces in the polynomial's area.

Alternatively, a kalman filter may work, after you find your main line, but that would be more advanced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GSIKwfkFCA