Ievan Polkka

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Here are some other songs I like:

Hava Naguila by Dalida (my daughter plays this on the fiddle)
Korobushka (also check out Bond's version)
Mambo Italiano
Unsquare Dance (it's on the Take Five album)
Push it to the limit

Here's a question for a few of you. Vanity Faire sang Early in the Morning, probably around 1969 or so. However, I remember recording some woman singing this song in the summer of 1968. The reason I remember it was because I had a Hitachi record player that had an 8 track tape -- and I recorded the song from the FM radio onto a tape. I've been wanting to hear that song by that woman all these years, but I have no idea who it was. Do any of you remember who the singer was?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Being that a Brit first recorded it, I wouldn't be surpised if Dusty Springfield or Petula Clark also recorded it.

I haven't found it by either of them ... but those two shared alot of the same songs.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Here's an a capella Finnish folk song by Loituma that really has grown on me. From 1:34-1:49, the girl in the red dress sounds a bit like Ella Fitzgerald scatting.
It took me ages to work out what this reminded me of - like an itch that couldn't be scratched. Finally I remembered this comic song which I would have heard as wee laddie when I lived up in Scotland,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqtFnAZu1YI

Does anyone else hear a similarity?

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Being that a Brit first recorded it, I wouldn't be surpised if Dusty Springfield or Petula Clark also recorded it.

I haven't found it by either of them ... but those two shared alot of the same songs.
No, this was by no singer with a big name. But it was definitely a female singer. I've got a box of my old 8 track tapes in this room, but no player. Maybe it's still on one of the tapes. :p

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Does anyone remember the precursor to the 8-track tape? That is, the 4-track tape. I think I still have a couple of these in the garage from my father's stuff.

http://www.8trackheaven.com/4track.html

I remember him using these. He had a home stereo and a big clunky thing in the car to play them. In those days, you had to slide the tape in, and then manually pull a lever back to get the pincher wheel to come up inside the tape. There were only 2 channels, each with stereo (hence 4 tracks). He must have known I'd become an engineer, - the way I would study the hardware at age 5.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
Here's a question for a few of you. Vanity Faire sang Early in the Morning, probably around 1969 or so. However, I remember recording some woman singing this song in the summer of 1968. The reason I remember it was because I had a Hitachi record player that had an 8 track tape -- and I recorded the song from the FM radio onto a tape. I've been wanting to hear that song by that woman all these years, but I have no idea who it was. Do any of you remember who the singer was?
You asked this awhile back and I racked my brain on it for a month....now there you go, making my mind work again:confused:

I remember the song well and remember Linda Ronstadt singing it at a concert with Stone Poneys back in the day but I do not remember her making a recording of it.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
You asked this awhile back and I racked my brain on it for a month....now there you go, making my mind work again:confused:
You've just verified my Someheimer's -- I couldn't remember if I asked the question or not and I was too lazy to search for it. But THANKS! You're the only person amongst all my geezer friends who remembers that there was such a female vocalist singing that song. Maybe we should go drool together at the same rest home. :p