Identify diode 10E N 06

noob99

Joined Mar 6, 2015
I am trying to fix a amplifier, but I stumbled upon a diode which I cannot identify.

On the diode:
10E
N

I am not getting wiser on Google, so maybe anyone knows what diode this is?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Need more clues. What century was this amplifier made in? Does it have vacuum tubes? Is the diode in the form of a resistor? A bolt? A piece of glass? A piece of black plastic?

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A photo of the circuit board might show us whether it's in the power supply area and can be replaced with a 1N4007 or some other garden variety 10 cent part.

Audio amp. 80 watts into 4 ohms. Very likely it's a common part.

http://www.hifiengine.com/login.shtml

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
A photo of the circuit board might show us whether it's in the power supply area and can be replaced with a 1N4007 or some other garden variety 10 cent part.

I'd say the picture looks more like a 3A part. 1N540x variety perhaps.

noob99

Joined Mar 6, 2015
Well I checked the schematic, couldnot find it. So after some more googling I find another (the same, but different) service manual (taf120.pdf).
The diode is located at the switch board for the speakers impedance. C623 and C622 are shorted, but it is not on the parts list. So I checked the other diodes, they have a threshold value of 0.60 Volt. Can I just replace it with a 1N4148?
switchboard.png

Attachments

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Diode 10E2N is listed on your pdf. Based on that I found (hopefully link works)
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/dlmain/Datasheets-111/DSAP0020253.pdf

It looks like it is general rectifier diode and 10 EN 06 seems to mean 600 V diode. 1N4148 seems to be 100 V only so perhaps voltage rating is too low.
Without some sort of scale alongside the device in the photo, its only a guess at the physical size. But I'd say i looks like at least a 3A device - a 1n4148 might last a few microseconds!

The 06 in the device number is more likely to indicate 60V (if so, it could well be a Shottky-barrier) - but without any hint at who the manufacturer is, its impossible to look up their marking conventions, and unwise to make any sweeping assumptions.

tsan

Joined Sep 6, 2014
The diode is on the input power supply rectifier based on taf120.pdf. It looks like full trafo secondary voltage is used with 8 ohm speaker setting and reduced voltage with 4 ohm. Fuses on "4 ohm circuit" are 5 or 6.3 A time lag so diode has to be high amp rating too. If 0.6 volt is measured on healthy diode it indicates typical silicon rectifier diode. Diode amp rating has to be high and rating can be estimated from the sice of the existing diode. If it looks to be at least 3A on the picture perhaps 3-10 A is suitable. But it can be typical rectifier diode, not fast diode.

noob99

Joined Mar 6, 2015
The dimensions of the diode: diameter=2.7mm and length=5mm
I have a FR105 diode, same size and is 600V diode, but measuring a threshold of a little over 500mV. But the diode has a maximum current of 1A. I think I will give it a try, i do not have anything else at the moment.