I need to learn how to read a Spec Sheets using the CD4060 IC as a model.

ConstantineOfTexas

Joined Jun 27, 2017
Let us start with some reference material links for the CD4060:
1) The TI PDF
2) The TI Parameters
3) The Product Data Sheet

From what I gather, Pins 8,12, and 16 control the power, which can vary fro 3-18 volts.
Pins 9,10, and 11 "program" the CD4060 IC.
Pins 3,4,5,6,7,3,13, 14, and 15 are the outputs.

Now for the Questions:
1) What are the voltages on the outputs?
2) Because Input can vary from 3-18 volts, are the Output Voltages proportional, i.e. Vout = K*Vin for some constant K ?
3) Is the voltage of the outputs diluted by the number of outputs turned on, i.e if all pins are up, are their signals weaker?
4) Where do I find this information on the data sheets? Please cite document, page, paragraph number/diagram, and line.

Note that the citation is the most important part of the answer I seek.

Thanks.

MOD: Tidied the Formatting.E

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a digital IC, so think of it as high and low output levels.
1) From page 4 (Static characteristics) on this datasheet, the output voltages depend on the power supply voltage VDD:
If you have a VDD of 5V, a high level is about 4.95V. If you have 10V, high level is 9.95V. In all cases, you have 0.05V for low level.

2) This question is, in practice, answered from the first one.

3) No. As long as you power your IC with a proper power supply, this is not an issue.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Let us start with some reference material links for the CD4060:
1) The TI PDF
2) The TI Parameters
3) The Product Data Sheet

From what I gather, Pins 8,12, and 16 control the power, which can vary fro 3-18 volts.
Pins 9,10, and 11 "program" the CD4060 IC.
Pins 3,4,5,6,7,3,13, 14, and 15 are the outputs.

Now for the Questions:
1) What are the voltages on the outputs?
2) Because Input can vary from 3-18 volts, are the Output Voltages proportional, i.e. Vout = K*Vin for some constant K ?
3) Is the voltage of the outputs diluted by the number of outputs turned on, i.e if all pins are up, are their signals weaker?
4) Where do I find this information on the data sheets? Please cite document, page, paragraph number/diagram, and line.

Note that the citation is the most important part of the answer I seek.

Thanks.
Stop that horrible formatting. Not needed.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Note that in post 2 the output voltages are specified for output currents less than 1 microamp.
Something that the post 2 table doesn't tell you is that if you draw more current than that from a high output the output voltage will drop approximately proportionally to the current. Likewise, sinking more current in a low output will raise the output voltage approximately proportionally.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
"Pins 8,12, and 16 control the power, which can vary fro 3-18 volts."

No…

Pins 8 and 16 are the “supply voltage”

Pin 12 is the master reset, this pin resets the counter to “0”.

There is no “Power Control”.

ConstantineOfTexas

Joined Jun 27, 2017
It's a digital IC, so think of it as high and low output levels.
1) From page 4 (Static characteristics) on this datasheet, the output voltages depend on the power supply voltage VDD:
If you have a VDD of 5V, a high level is about 4.95V. If you have 10V, high level is 9.95V. In all cases, you have 0.05V for low level.

2) This question is, in practice, answered from the first one.

3) No. As long as you power your IC with a proper power supply, this is not an issue.
Xavier, I think I see the pattern.

Vhigh = Vin - .05 V ; Vlow = .05 V

I declare your answer to be the best answer, the one I was looking for, and the one that will be most useful for reading data sheets in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Here are the output currents that can be driven for the given output voltages for three different supply voltages @ the given temperatures:

upload_2019-1-8_9-25-58.png
upload_2019-1-8_9-24-50.png

ConstantineOfTexas

Joined Jun 27, 2017
Followup question:

I have actually designed but have yet to implement a circuit with the CD4060 that turns on when the light is dim, theoretically the sunset. After a light show of about an hour (the output pins connect to leds), I want to shut it off, say when pin 3 finally goes high. If I connect Pin 3 to Pin 12, the reset, and in the absence of a triggering event, theoretically sunrise, have I effectively shut this chip down till the next triggering event?