I need help. 12v LED flashing

johnal2

Joined Aug 11, 2014
Hi Anyone

I have a 12v circuit and it has a LED that is flashing repeatedly in a normal output. I want to make a new circuit that detect this flash and turn it into a normal on light or (motor run). If my circuit LED stops flashing, then the light or (motor) would turn it off.

Thanks

John Al

<SNIP>

Last edited by a moderator:

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
He may mean that it sounds automotive.:( Not allowed!

There are some similar threads on here. Do a search.

If they are automotive, they have been closed.

If it's a non-automotive general question, seems you could find an answer here.

johnal2

Joined Aug 11, 2014
Hi
I am new here. It is not for fixing automobile. I am trying to find any circuit that will turn on my toy. I looked into the LM555 and LM741 but i can't find any that has a LED input that is flashing repeatedly in a normal output. I want to make a new circuit that detect this flash and turn it into a normal on light or (motor run). If my circuit LED stops flashing, then the light or (motor) would turn it off.

I had tested and used cosmo1010 but unsuccessful.
Thanks

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is the LED a self-flashing one, or is it being flashed by the upstream circuitry?

Do you have access to tack-soldering two wires to the anode and cathode of the LED?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The basic building block for this is called a retriggerable monostable. Comes in an IC package, one of many logic devices out there.

Something like a CD14538 should work. You still need a detector for the input and a driver for the light or motor output.

And do take your email out of your signature, unless you need more spam in yuor inbox.

johnal2

Joined Aug 11, 2014
Hi Mike
It is from the circuit provide electric to the resistor of 89ohm to the LED diode. Thanks
To Externet. I did tested the PWA and missing pulse from LM555 like this one [/QUOTE]

However, when i turned off the circuit of signal. the new circuit light still on unless I cut the power supply. This is not what I am looking for
I am looking for
I want to make a new circuit that detect this flash and turn it into a normal on light or (motor run). If my circuit LED stops flashing, then the light or (motor) would turn it off.
Thanks

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Any idea what the existing flash rate is?
Any idea what the duty cycle is (how long the LED is on)?
What is the battery voltage for the whole system (assuming you want to use it to power your light/motor)?

johnal2

Joined Aug 11, 2014
Mr. Ernie. How can I remove my email (sorry first time member). I will try to buy the CD14538 and try it today if I can.
Main question, Would it turn off the light or motor if the signal is "off" from my LED? I got the input from the resistor that connect to the LED from the PIC16F1826 circuit.... then I connect to the diode part of the cosmo1010 (this mean is flashing inside the cosmo1010? The cosmo1010 transitor part signal to the input of retriggerable monostable circuitry (or the missing pulse signal circuit).? Any special circuit you can suggest to me? Thank you very much.

johnal2

Joined Aug 11, 2014
Hi Mike
The flashing rate and duration is about 2 per sec. Thank for the circuit and I will try it tonight. To Adamclark, I used cosmo1010 IC and connect to the LED directly... that mean it is flashing in the cosmo1010 directly and the signal output is also from the cosmo1010 transitor to the new circuit. Thanks

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi Mike
The flashing rate and duration is about 2 per sec. Thank for the circuit and I will try it tonight. To Adamclark, I used cosmo1010 IC and connect to the LED directly... that mean it is flashing in the cosmo1010 directly and the signal output is also from the cosmo1010 transitor to the new circuit. Thanks

Check if the LED in the existing circuitry has its cathode tied to ground. If not, you may have to use an isolated supply to power the 555 circuit, or we could revamp the input circuit to the 2n3904.

johnal2

Joined Aug 11, 2014
Hi Mike

johnal2

Joined Aug 11, 2014
To MikeML
Happy Labor's Day. Today, I just have a little time and made up the missing pulse detector (circuit # 2), that you suggested to me on August 14. Circuit # 1 is my PIC16F1826 with a piezo detector to generate pulse output of the LED. The voltage is 12VDC and the circuit #2 (LM555) pin # 2, 6 voltage is 8.07V. when I connected GND of the circuit # 1 that consisted of IC PIC16F1826 to the circuit # 2. The circuit # 1 LED is flashing like crazy with no signal input. Circuit # 2 relay never turn on with or without pulse input to the 1K resistor. If I connect circuit #2 pin #6 to pin # 7 then the relay is "ON" regardless of pulse input. Thank
Kyle

johnal2

Joined Aug 11, 2014
Hi MikeML
I took the 2n3904 out and replaced with a cosmo1010. It works exactly like I want. However, if I connected my two circuit GND together then the LED flash like crazy (circuit # 1(PIC16F1826) GND to circuit # 2 (your suggested missing pulse LM555 ) GND).
Now, I am trying to see if your Missing pulse circuit LM555 pin#3 output or maybe pin #4 or pin # 7 could do (ON and OFF in the opposite way of pin # 3). Many thanks for your circuit.
Kyle

johnal2

Joined Aug 11, 2014
Hi MikeML
I took the 2n3904 out and replaced with a cosmo1010. It works exactly like I want. However, if I connected my two circuit GND together then the LED flash like crazy (circuit # 1(PIC16F1826) GND to circuit # 2 (your suggested missing pulse LM555 ) GND).
Now, I am trying to see if your Missing pulse circuit LM555 pin#3 output or maybe pin #4 or pin # 7 could do (ON and OFF in the opposite way of pin # 3). Many thanks for your circuit.
Kyle