I have just been scammed!?

Kojii

Joined Jul 19, 2013
Hi everyone. I really dont know where to post this. Sorry for any inconvenience I have bought a PC controlled VHF radio scanner 25mhz-1300mhz from ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-25-1350...pt=US_Ham_Radio_Receivers&hash=item27e8b62357

No antenna was included.
It turned out there was an icon of a keyboard with a nr rtl28338uh1dir. That was the receiver!

I right away thought it was a scam. It was from Russia I know but can it be confirmed this is a scam.? I opened it up and this is how it looked inside. Now I know USB dongles can be converted into radio receivers but I am not an engineer and thought the apparent chip was so little. It would be highly appreciated if I got some help if this is a a real or fake. I contacted the seller.

Thanks and Best Regards

Attachments

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Sorta. It's what they call dongle SDR radio. Software Designed Radio. You can buy the dongle on ebay for about $20. Connect dongle to a decent antenna and they(mine) works great! You can download the software for free. You can see the entire spectrum. Best $20 dollars I ever spent. Use good mutiband ant. and high quality feed line. Some use dongle at ant. and then use long usb cable instead of long feedline. Been told its better and it should be. I haven't tried that yet. If I were starting fresh, I would go for long usb cable. Excellent receivers for the money. Return yours and get twenty dollar job and ant. Enjoy.

Kojii

Joined Jul 19, 2013
Thank you, so the thing about was at least a "receiver"? not just complete fake/scam. I know that a dongle is much cheaper but I thought (after seeing that nonworking keyboard icon on PC)that what I got is not even a usb dongle.

But it is a dongle you say, ha?
At any rate I am returning it

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
The only problem is they failed to provide the antenna.

What you bought is a perfectly valid software based receiver, the receiver electronics is a small PCB inside the black heatshrink (where the antenna cable goes into it).

I'm not sure why you are complaining? Is it because the electronics was not of the appearance that you expected?

Or because you did not know the receiver was inside the black heatshrink?

Electronics is small these days. :)

Kojii

Joined Jul 19, 2013
File a SNAD case because what you received does not look like whats advertised
Thanks for the suggestion. I have already don that and the seller replied that the antenna will be arriving in another parcel shortly. SInce it seems the thing I got was a USB dongle radio, I may not be able to win or have the right to say anything since it is after all a some kind of "radio receiver" i.e. a USB dongle..

Or Do I have the right of SNAD since he didnt specify it was a usb dongle radio?

Thanks

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
well without the Antenna, it is SNAD.

So the small module is actually inside the box?

Is everything else included like shown and printed on the list?

Arriving shortly in another package CAN BE a stringing tactic to win time.

Did you open a SNAD case for the item already?

If you dont get the antenna before 30 days (after estimated delivery date, not purchase), be sure to do so.

If you already opened it, and dont get the antenna before 30 days after opening the case, be sure to escalate it.

I hope it works out for you, you get the Antenna, and it works.

Otherwise, ebay may ask you to return it to seller w/ tracking, or they may just refund you.

It's not useable without antenna, and it is shown + listed on the item page, right?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion. I have already don that and the seller replied that the antenna will be arriving in another parcel shortly. SInce it seems the thing I got was a USB dongle radio, I may not be able to win or have the right to say anything since it is after all a some kind of "radio receiver" i.e. a USB dongle..

Or Do I have the right of SNAD since he didnt specify it was a usb dongle radio?
To me, the ad seems very clear that it is a USB controlled radio, it comes with a USB lead and software so you can use the radio. And it came in the nice metal case as shown in the ad, which is not just to fool people but is an important part of the shielding and antenna grounding.

So to me anyway, they supplied you with exactly what they should have but simply forgot to include the antenna. (Or tried to rip you off one antenna).

May I ask; did you understand that it was a USB radio and needed to be connected to a PC to work, before you bought it?

Or did you think it was a complete radio with a speaker and/or headphone jack?

I'm not having a go at you. I am just curious what your expectations were at the time of purchase.
:)