Hurricane Florence

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My daughter just moved there a few weeks ago! She’s near Raleigh so probably not in much risk but the army (Ft. Bragg) is telling people to prepare for a week without power.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
We've had a very wet year. A constant stream from the gulf. It reminds me of FLA.

Our streams, rivers, lakes, reservoirs and ground are full. We don't get the wind(except a few rare tornadoes).....but the large rain is a killer and very destructive in the hills.

I was hoping it would circle Bermuda....and leave.......

I couldn't resist saying DC.

Anyhow.......no one would want that storm to enter and up the Chesapeake. The very worse possible scenario. A whole dense chunk of US corridor down. It would be historic. And terrible.

NF-Hampton area, Richmond, DC, Baltimore, and into southern Philly and the huge bay population.

If it got close, then shot a b-line for the bay.......one could not evacuate fast enough.

Sorta like a sports game......one tries to read it.......but the outcome is never sure.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Looks like it's losing some strength and pushing south.

The US military is at work on another storm.
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...nd-marines-race-to-save-typhoon-ravaged-rota/
With Hurricane Florence poised to punish military bases in the Carolinas and southern Virginia, efforts by the armed forces to respond to storms on the other side of the world got overlooked.

But in the Northern Marianas Islands, sailors and Marines began rescue and recovery operations on Rota Wednesday morning, hours after Typhoon Mangkhut ravaged it.

Commanded by Navy Rear Adm. Brad Cooper, Task Force 76 executed a brilliant bit of seamanship as Mangkhut barreled west toward Guam, Saipan, Tinian and Rota, scooting just beyond the reach of its powerful winds and waves and then tucking the warships behind it to trail in the typhoon’s wake.

“We safely and aggressively positioned ourselves behind the typhoon, so as soon as it passed we were able to respond,” Cooper told Navy Times early Thursday local time from the bridge of the Wasp, his amphibious flagship.
Packing winds higher than 201 miles per hour and driving waves 50 feet high, the eye of the storm is about 500 miles west of Manila moving west-northwestward on a trajectory likely to tear across the northern Philippines, destroying rice crops and pancaking houses in a rural region that’s home to 10 million residents.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13/asia/typhoon-mangkhut-superlatives-wxc-trnd/index.html

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My daughter just moved there a few weeks ago! She’s near Raleigh so probably not in much risk but the army (Ft. Bragg) is telling people to prepare for a week without power.
Yeah, I have been chatting with friends in the Raleigh area and while the expect rain and some flooding it won't be like the low lying coastal areas. The big problem is loss of power for extended periods which means loss of refrigeration along with being in the dark. Sitting in the dark drinking warm beer sucks! :)

With the cost of home generators being low I wouldn't be without one. That along with several good quality flashlights and some battery/AC powered radios.

Ron

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I own several ebikes and I have to take the SLABs out of service as they age. Rather than send them to the recycling depot I keep them fully charged. I can power LED lights for a long time in the event of power outage.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Unfortunately a mother and child were killed when a tree crashed into their home, a woman died of a heart attack with emergency personnel unable to reach her quick enough and a guy died while plugging in a generator. This thing is big and just not really moving very fast so more flooding. I have no idea how the guy was killed with the generator beyond electrocution.

Ron