How XML and JS are used together to develop client side web applications

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
The question is asked for 10 marks in 80 marks final exam which is pretty huge weight for a single question.

4. HTTP and the Web Services [8 hours]
4.1. HTTP, Web Servers and Web Access
4.2. Universal naming with URLs
4.3. WWW Technology: HTML, DHTML, WML, XML
4.4. Tools: WYS/WYG Authoring Tools
4.5. Helper applications: CGI; PERL, JAVA, JAVA SRIPTS, PHP, ASP, .NET Applications
4.6. Introduction to AJAX (Programming)
4.7. browser as a rendering engine: text, HTML, gif and jpeg
This is the part of our whole syllabus. As you can guess from it, the goal of syllabus is not to make us program website using these technologies, rather to just learn what are they (I find this syllabus is pretty useless as it is fully overloaded with contents, and at the end you learn nth)

Here's full syllabus-:
http://ioesyllabus.blogspot.com/2015/05/internet-and-intranet-ct-754-syllabus.html

I am confused what this question above is trying to ask?
1) Is it asking to write about AJAX? Cause AJAX uses javascript and AJAX does use xmlhttprequest object. So is it asking to write about it?
2) Is it asking to write how to create a website using xml and javascript. And what kind of website to design for 10 marks in exam?
And https://stackoverflow.com/questions/384639/how-to-include-javascript-in-xml-document
this SO answers indicate it isn't possible to use javascript inside xml due to some reasons.

I am really confused. The teacher of this course is not available now. I am inclining more towards this being a "write short notes on AJAX" type of question. I want to know your views.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The question is asked for 10 marks in 80 marks final exam which is pretty huge weight for a single question.

This is the part of our whole syllabus. As you can guess from it, the goal of syllabus is not to make us program website using these technologies, rather to just learn what are they (I find this syllabus is pretty useless as it is fully overloaded with contents, and at the end you learn nth)

Here's full syllabus-:
http://ioesyllabus.blogspot.com/2015/05/internet-and-intranet-ct-754-syllabus.html

I am confused what this question above is trying to ask?
1) Is it asking to write about AJAX? Cause AJAX uses javascript and AJAX does use xmlhttprequest object. So is it asking to write about it?
2) Is it asking to write how to create a website using xml and javascript. And what kind of website to design for 10 marks in exam?
And https://stackoverflow.com/questions/384639/how-to-include-javascript-in-xml-document
this SO answers indicate it isn't possible to use javascript inside xml due to some reasons.

I am really confused. The teacher of this course is not available now. I am inclining more towards this being a "write short notes on AJAX" type of question. I want to know your views.
As metioned, w3schools is an excellent resource.

But, XML for websites, and AJAX are severely outdated technology. The industry has one moved on to JSON for semantic objects and other background communications options instead of AJAX. I fear that this course will not offer much in practical information.

[EDIT: fixed AJAX description]

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
As metioned, w3schools is an excellent resource.

But, XML for websites, and AJAX are severely outdated technology. The industry has one moved on to JSON for semantic objects and other background communications options instead of AJAX. I fear that this course will not offer much in practical information.

[EDIT: fixed AJAX description]
thanks for great information. i don't think i can change the syllabus now. everything they teach is pretty outdated haha. but i keep peace thinking concepts never get outdated.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
thanks for great information. i don't think i can change the syllabus now. everything they teach is pretty outdated haha. but i keep peace thinking concepts never get outdated.
XML is still useful to know, it is just far more likely to be on the back end in some larger system. The data communicated between the brows er and the web server is much more likely to be JSON.

Knowing AJAX to work on legacy code can also be useful. Building a new website relying on these two is not going to age well, though.

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
XML is still useful to know, it is just far more likely to be on the back end in some larger system. The data communicated between the brows er and the web server is much more likely to be JSON.

Knowing AJAX to work on legacy code can also be useful. Building a new website relying on these two is not going to age well, though.
isn't AJAX still used? I don't find any flaws in AJAX? (sorry i have 0 ideas about real life coding in enterprises)

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
isn't AJAX still used? I don't find any flaws in AJAX? (sorry i have 0 ideas about real life coding in enterprises)
Yes, quite extensively. So is XML. Some of the biggest websites / online businesses use XML it is not something hobbyists tend to use so they seem to think it is outdated. But it is a very efficient way to conditionally format/conditionally display large volumes of data. Some people merge xml files in SQL database entries to speed queries - you can also use XML to force the client side to do the formatting work. So many options, I cannot imagine anyone would consider it outdated. Maybe better said would be, "not for every application - many options are available".

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Both of those technologies will be useful if you find yourself working on a legacy codebase.

As @MrSalts says, there are certainly large sites using them largely because they are large sites and refactoring a large Javascript codebase is no simple undertaking. More modern code is being based on WebSocket and the various capabilities of PWA (Progressive Web Application) technology.