how to use TCRT5000 or CYN70 as a photo-switch

Ezzat Oraby

Joined Apr 14, 2019
I'm a newbie in electronic circuits,
I designed a jewellery case with a recorded message but I couldn't use a limit switch to trigger the voice once opening the case.
Finally, I got IR diode TCRT5000 and CYN70 to be used as a trigger as above, but I need your advice, how to connect the IC, do I have to connect a resistor to any of them

Ezzat Oraby

Joined Apr 14, 2019
Thank you,
As I'm planning to produce a large number of circuits, I need your help in using limit switch for the openning of the jewelry case
I think it'll be the most economic choice

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The reed switch and magnet approach mentioned by @MisterBill2 is dead simple and can be very small.

These switches https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-N-O-...-Replacement-2-5X14MM-RI-90-V7D9/332671666271 are 14mm long, and these magnets https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-pcs-ti...e-earth-Neo-1-8-dia-x-1-32-thick/182507529470 are only about 3mm across and 1mm thick.

There are only examples, I chose the switch because you need normally closed contacts and only the double throw type seem to be easily available, and the choice of magnet will depend on the location of mounting in the box, but those seem a good candidate.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Reed switches can be quite small and if the magnet can be very close than it can be a small magnet. AND it is possible to reverse the action by using a second magnet, so that when both are close the magnetic field cancels and the reed switch opens.
Of course, if the jewelry case has a power cord to supply some other function, such as lights, or whatever, then the original proposal makes sense. But powering a light source constantly is not practical for a battery powered system. In that case a reed switch arrangement is a better choice. AND they can be embedded and not show at all.

Ezzat Oraby

Joined Apr 14, 2019
By some simple calculations, one may find that the magnetic reed switch and magnet cost about $1
while some mounting the limit switch with some manipulations may cost 25 cents.
So, I'm thinking in some mounting idea for that

Ezzat Oraby

Joined Apr 14, 2019
Thanks to all bro
some obstacles would arise in case of reed switch like the magnetic force that is affected by the internal cover of the box that separates the magnet from reed switch and the position sensitivity.
I uploaded an image revealing the case. However, for a commercial issue, I need to install a limit switch anywhere and I need your suggestions on how to install it inside the box.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thanks to all bro
some obstacles would arise in case of reed switch like the magnetic force that is affected by the internal cover of the box that separates the magnet from reed switch and the position sensitivity.
I uploaded an image revealing the case. However, for a commercial issue, I need to install a limit switch anywhere and I need your suggestions on how to install it inside the box.
OK, it is a SMALL box. I had been thinking of the larger ones that I am familiar with.
The obvious problem is that almost any electronic method will have a standby current draw of the device waiting to detect that the box is opened. One possible exception would be a light sensitive cell that would conduct when it saw light from the box being opened. But that would not work in the dark.