How to test bad AC power connection to PCB

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by ytesfai, Nov 22, 2016.

1. ytesfai

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 22, 2016
    On a design with a C14 AC connector soldered to PCB, is there a way to test for bad solder joints that might cause occasional intermittent connect/disconnect issues? All I've seen on web search is to use visual inspection, but I'm looking for something that uses signal integrity test using test equipment to look for bad/weak connections?

2. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
    What test equipment do you have? A multimeter can test for continuity on each pin to the PCB. Wiggle the connector while the meter is connected and see if the reading changes. A limitation here is that the meter will pass only a low current through the connector. You could do better if you have a PAT tester.

3. ytesfai

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Thanks for the reply.

I have basic test equipment (Multimeter, Scope) and also have a hipot tester. If necessary I'm also willing to buy a tester as long as there is a specific effective tester for this purpose. I could work around the low current issue by plugging a high load on the other side and that's what I'm planning to do, but I was trying to see if there is a reliable test specifically designed for this issue. I would think this is a fairly common problem with significant repercussions if not caught.

4. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
    Try the multimeter resistance test first with a wiggle. If it shows some intermittency then the problem is found.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Measuring ohms with a simple ohm meter (@ 1 ma) or voltage drop caused by a constant current (10ma, 100 ma or a whole amp) are useful methods, but a full load stress test would be the gold standard because it is the same as the real life, intended use. A full load test includes temperature changes that a low current test will not provide.