How to safely wire 50 watt cob chip with ic driver on board

turtleguy

Joined Aug 8, 2019
I have four of theses bad boys and i want to power them safely.

Im so excited to enter the world of electricity! What is shone must have reading for a beginner who wants to bcome a seriously player in the led world..

Last edited by a moderator:

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
I think I know the type .... wiring should be obvious only two terminals to connect to the mains ...

Was is important is a very good , probably fan assisted heat sink to get a good life out of the cob.

turtleguy

Joined Aug 8, 2019
I think I know the type .... wiring should be obvious only two terminals to connect to the mains ...

Was is important is a very good , probably fan assisted heat sink to get a good life out of the cob.
I was told on here i couldn't even post about wiring them directly to the main as it is dangerous and wanting to do things safe and correct. Also I have a small aluminum heatsink and a small 12 volt computer fan that does not seem to cool it enough it was literally hot the heat sink was hot enough to boil water after 2 hours of running it. Considering water cooling using a CPU distribution block and a simple hydroponic.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
I was told on here i couldn't even post about wiring them directly to the main as it is dangerous and wanting to do things safe and correct. Also I have a small aluminum heatsink and a small 12 volt computer fan that does not seem to cool it enough it was literally hot the heat sink was hot enough to boil water after 2 hours of running it. Considering water cooling using a CPU distribution block and a simple hydroponic.
Forum management does not like posts on wiring normal leds directly to mains .. these would be DC leds some people put many in series ...

Your leds are different they have miniaturized circuitry (black squares) and are designed to be connected to the mains by soldering on the two silver looking terminals on the left ... the prices on your link are outrageous !! 50W grow cobs (pictured) are on eBay for $2 each including delivery .....

You must give attention to heat sink or your leds will only have a life of HOURS ... heat sinking is a very big subject !

Last edited by a moderator:

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Considering water cooling using a CPU distribution block and a simple hydroponic.
Water cooling is a good idea ....

You could put all four cobs on one of these cooling blocks , but if there is an interruption in the flow of water the leds will burn out !

you can glue the cobs onto the block with no need for fixing screws ... Make sure you get the right type of heat sink compound , one type is glue which makes a very strong bond ... the other type is described as "grease" and will never set.

turtleguy

Joined Aug 8, 2019
Water cooling is a good idea ....

You could put all four cobs on one of these cooling blocks , but if there is an interruption in the flow of water the leds will burn out !

you can glue the cobs onto the block with no need for fixing screws ... Make sure you get the right type of heat sink compound , one type is glue which makes a very strong bond ... the other type is described as "grease" and will never set.
How can i wire for just one plug...

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
How can i wire for just one plug...
So you have four of these you want to wire to just one plug ....

The two silver looking terminals on each cob is where you connect to ....

Take a piece of wire and solder onto one of the terminals . then run this wire and solder onto the same terminal on the other 3 cobs .... Now you have one wire soldered onto the same point on all 4 cobs , this wire goes to one pin of the mains plug ....

Now get another piece of wire and do the same , but soldering on to the other silver terminal on each cob , this goes to the other pin on the mains plug .... You have wired all 4 cobs in parallel ... all 4 will get a mains supply ....