How to repair/reinstall Outlook Express 6

DarcyCptrx

Joined Aug 28, 2015
n the last months it's happening to me that changing Outlook Express 6 (on Windows XP Pro) identity, Outlook Express hangs up: the identity changes but I don't see the mail texts. I must close Outlook Express and then it doesn't start. I must restart PC to start Outlook Express again.

Perhaps something is corrupted: is there a way to reinstall Outlook Express? or it's better that I pass to Outlook 2003 (that I already have installed but I don't use)? Can it depend on Norton Antispam? Today before hanging up it gave to me an error message of insufficient memory (but I have 1 Gb of it and I didn't have other programs open).

What do you suggest?

Thanks

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Get rid of XP. The operating system has been unsupported for over a year. Many applications are beginning to break with XP. There are no patches for it and applications and application updates are no longer tested for compatibility with XP. I work for a support company, and we no longer touch a machine running XP.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
n the last months it's happening to me that changing Outlook Express 6 (on Windows XP Pro) identity, Outlook Express hangs up: the identity changes but I don't see the mail texts. I must close Outlook Express and then it doesn't start. I must restart PC to start Outlook Express again.

Perhaps something is corrupted: is there a way to reinstall Outlook Express? or it's better that I pass to Outlook 2003 (that I already have installed but I don't use)? Can it depend on Norton Antispam? Today before hanging up it gave to me an error message of insufficient memory (but I have 1 Gb of it and I didn't have other programs open).

What do you suggest?

Thanks
Any of the following may remedy your problem:

//////////
Note: I concur with @djsfantasi -- OS upgrade is your only long-term solution -- annoyingly, said solution will likely necessitate hardware upgrade as well --- If (like many of us) you are disillusioned with Microsoft's 'racketeering ways' - you might consider Linux -- An excellent move once made - Be warned, however, that many find the transition less than 'smooth'...
////////////

-Reinstall XP, then reconfigure OE
OR
-Install another mail agent (i.e. Outlook, Windows Live Mail, etc...)
OR
-Upgrade OS

FWIW I find 'Windows 7' (Ultimate or Enterprise) to be the last decent Microsoft offering --- Be advised, however, that such is merely my opinion (based upon application to Workstations & Servers...

Whichever solution you choose - please be certain to back-up your mail store directory/files!

Good luck!
HP:)

Last edited:
You can use Recovery Toolbox for Address Book. Windows Address Book is recovered in steps. Following the sequence of steps is the condition required for the successful recovery of a corrupted Windows Address Book file. Please carefully follow the instructions on recovering the Windows Address Book and the recovery process will not take long.

For more: https://recoverytoolbox.com/repair_address_book.html