How to repair a snow blower engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Please clarify is this a vehicle or a man-pushed cart, can you attach the photo?
Seriously? How paranoid of things that could be called a vehicle in the weakest sense of the term are you guys now? o_O

I have repurposed several old snowblower engines over other devices. One is water pump, one went on a generator, another went to a wood chipper and maybe this weekend I might be taking my last old snowblower engine and putting it on a my rototiller so given that they OP could have a hundred other things he has his old snowblower engine on other than an 'automobile' as you guys have seemed to now classify anything that moves as being one.

BTW a snowblower is self propelled and if a person really tries to they can be rode on which would then would require this thread to be locked due to the potential for a person to use a snowblower as an automobile. :rolleyes:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Please clarify is this a vehicle or a man-pushed cart, can you attach the photo?
Not long ago, there would have been zero question about this thread, even if it turned out to be a riding snow blower (something I've never heard of, if you ride it, it's called a plow). Why? Because it's NOT "automotive" by any reasonable measure.

Given the new level of scrutiny and the related off-topic discussions, I can only deduce that there has been a major but undocumented change in the policies here. Not cool.

Either tell us the rules have changed, or go away.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Actually a lot of riding lawn mowers and garden tractors can have a snowblower attachment which would in a sense make them riding snowblowers. :D :oops:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I know, but in common usage we'd call that a "plow" in my neighborhood. The fact that it throws the snow out of the way makes it a fancy plow. And aren't most of those powered off the tractor anyway? The TS's question would then regard a tractor engine.

And until very recently, it wouldn't have mattered if it was a ride-on tractor.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I'd like everyone to keep in mind that ScottWang is not only a relatively new moderator, but also not a fluent speaker of the English language. He helps us cover the Asian time-zones by spanning the moderating team across the globe. He makes a frank effort to help keep AAC afloat. Please, give him a little space to breathe, until he gets his game on.

In the meantime, since he had doubts about this thread, I advised him to ask the OP that we were really dealing with one of these:

instead of one of these:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Fair enough. I think we are uncomfortable with the idea of pre-emptive thread closure, before the facts have been teased out. In the past, threads would come along that were a bit suspicious, and a question or two would usually be all that was needed to confirm or deny that the thread was outside the ToS.

We've all grown comfortable with this after-the-fact thread closure. It may allow the occasional thread to continue longer than it should have, but most get caught soon enough.

When a thread is closed long before there is a hint of any problem, or because of a much wider view of what is "automotive", that's all a bit jarring.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Fair enough. I think we are uncomfortable with the idea of pre-emptive thread closure, before the facts have been teased out. In the past, threads would come along that were a bit suspicious, and a question or two would usually be all that was needed to confirm or deny that the thread was outside the ToS.

We've all grown comfortable with this after-the-fact thread closure. It may allow the occasional thread to continue longer than it should have, but most get caught soon enough.

When a thread is closed long before there is a hint of any problem, or because of a much wider view of what is "automotive", that's all a bit jarring.
What you suggest is still the common line of work. When in doubt, we discuss it privately and then declare the conclusion. Again, give a little time to the new moderators to get the feel of the job. It's a lot different on this side of the line. Just imagine that a normal member rarely has to think about such formalities when writing a post.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Yep. Same thoughts here.

My wife does her best to redefine the definitions of my reality as is to justify her actions and poor choices of words. I don't need it here as well. :p

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
For what it's worth, the mods are actively trying to come to a consensus with the owner on what the intent and scope of that clause of the ToS is. But that is a surprisingly difficult process (surprising even to us) because of the practical realities of the means and timelines of communication amongst us. In the meantime, we still have to enforce the ToS to best of our current understanding.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I had suspicions of such behind the scenes work and I know how long it can take to pin down agreeable definitions.

But well you know I have this stick and so do love poking things with it....... :oops:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I'd make a terrible moderator. I am patient, give the benefit of the doubt and actively try to use as much rational and logical information as I can get before making my decisions and when tat doesn't work for me I am a bit too thrilled to give people enough rope to hang themselves with so that I can have something to act on.

Sorry mo moderator positions for me. I dont have the maturity and tactical skill sets to fit in. :p

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Seriously? How paranoid of things that could be called a vehicle in the weakest sense of the term are you guys now? o_O

I have repurposed several old snowblower engines over other devices. One is water pump, one went on a generator, another went to a wood chipper and maybe this weekend I might be taking my last old snowblower engine and putting it on a my rototiller so given that they OP could have a hundred other things he has his old snowblower engine on other than an 'automobile' as you guys have seemed to now classify anything that moves as being one.

BTW a snowblower is self propelled and if a person really tries to they can be rode on which would then would require this thread to be locked due to the potential for a person to use a snowblower as an automobile. :rolleyes:
Thanks for your comments.
The old time that I will just waiting for you guys to report the problem, but that situations almost discussion for a period of time, when I found someone reported this was hijacked, so I split this from the original thread, because there is no other members join the discussion, so i think maybe I can ask the TS to clarify the doubt, but I still afraid of during these time there are some other members will join the discussion, before I took any actions, I already googling, but they are too many kinds and different of snow blower engines, so I reported this thread to discuss with other moderators, and so soon as possible to reopen it.

There are no standard procedure to process different cases, yes, I'm new for this forum for a moderator, but I don't think that is a problem, the problem is that you or other moderators can't do the right decision every time, some of the problems still there and waiting to happen, the moderators and me still learning to handle with different cases, maybe these will bring you a little uncomfortable, you can tell me what to do is good for the forum and members under the TOS?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Not long ago, there would have been zero question about this thread, even if it turned out to be a riding snow blower (something I've never heard of, if you ride it, it's called a plow). Why? Because it's NOT "automotive" by any reasonable measure.

Given the new level of scrutiny and the related off-topic discussions, I can only deduce that there has been a major but undocumented change in the policies here. Not cool.

Either tell us the rules have changed, or go away.
You could give the suggestion to owner to do something to reducing the thing happened like this, I just a moderator and I have to do some actions, maybe be sometimes is not that good, I'm young than you in this forum, and still learning and get used to follow the rules when I do any actions.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Hey Hey I used to ride a Billygoat Street Vac just to have fun lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.