How to Read volts or amps directly from MC2100 treadmill motor controller?

Giomonte

Joined Jun 26, 2020
Is it possible to read volts and amps directly from the MC2100? Does it put out such data? How to access it? Possibly, I'd like to use it as feedback to a micro-controller. More elegant than adding an external v/a meter.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The on board processor uses a ..01Ω to monitor current in the Mosfet driver.
The DC is ramped up via a triac when a command is issued , you would need to monitor that.

Giomonte

Joined Jun 26, 2020
Thank you, I think I understand the concept. But I need a bit more guidance. Could you elaborate in a more "how to" kind of way.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The motor power is not isolated from the mains service.
I f you want isolation, then you would need to come up with a method of doing this when integrating into the Micro.
Is there any particular reason you need to know this info?

Giomonte

Joined Jun 26, 2020
To clarify, in the same sense that the MC2100 has a wire that provides rpm from the built-in sensor, I'd like to know if there is a wire one can tap to get volts or amps (I believe the board reports this info to the console board when in some diagnostic mode)?

The info is simply for user reference/ diagnostics. Just looking for an elegant solution. I can always add a cheap external v/a meter.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
On the one's I have seen, the belt rate indicator comes in on the motor board but is directed up to the processor in the console via HD2 connector, where it is compared to the requested rate, then the PWM signal into HD2 back to the motor board is corrected accordingly.
If you are controlling the board as a stand alone unit, then you could use this signal on the board input for your own correction.

Giomonte

Joined Jun 26, 2020
I currently generate my own PWM input...and I'm now working on PID control. So, I understand this much. I just want to view realtime v/a. For volts, are you suggesting that I map PWM value to the output voltage range of the MCU? If so, what is that output range? Then, how to access amps?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Due to the issue the motor power is non-isolated form the mains, if you require isolation then you need a non invasive method to measure the voltage/current feedback from the motor.
The present on board micro uses a volt drop across the Mosfet .01ohm in the mosfet source.
You do have the reverse-engineered schematic I assume?

Giomonte

Joined Jun 26, 2020
So, I take it you're say there is not no convenient console cable wire to tap into for this. Shucks! But, you point to a more low-level solution. As a newbie, that will probably be a challenge, but I'll give it a try. I have previously found the schematics. Thanks.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You have two control systems in effect, one is the isolated processor in the console that provides the commands and processes the feedback, and the one on the motor board that mainly controls the mains fed motor.