How to press an on/off button (for a battery) within an enclosure

Adam Uraynar

Joined Dec 21, 2015
I'm making a portable device. It uses a Yoobao portable charger. This is placed in a closed box (with an Arduino, and other things) in such a way that it needs some sort of mechanical actuator to be turned on/off.

The box is 3.88 mm thick, and from there it needs to extend a 19.48 mm distance. The rest of the box is tight.

I would appreciate your help on choosing what to do. It seems what I need is a mechanical push rod or "reset button."
Is there another smaller push button, or something I could make with a spring or something?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You don't give much information, but I'd inclined to use a reed switch if the enclosure was plastic or non-ferrous metal.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You don't give much information, but I'd inclined to use a reed switch if the enclosure was plastic or non-ferrous metal.
I believe he wants to mechanically actuate the existing switch, but he probably should be wiring in a new switch, or using a different power supply.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
ooooh use capacitive touch switch with a latching circuit... or a magnetic actuater... how about a hammer to turn it off...

Couldn't resist... you really need to give more details. How about a picture or drawing?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I’ve drilled a hole in the case directly opposite the push button. A toothpick, paper clip, ballpoint refill, et.al. to mechanically operate the switch.

Adam Uraynar

Joined Dec 21, 2015
Details are attached.

Maybe I'll just have the user un/screw the box every time they want to use it.
Otherwise I'm thinking I'd have to make some sort of solid piece to fit inside a spring:
--------''''''----˥
--------....----˩

Attachments

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
See if you can find some telescoping brass tubing. It can be found at craft stores or hobby shops. K&S Engineering is a manufacturer. Get two sizes that fit into each other. A solid brass rod is good for the inner tube.

I’d cut a slot along the outer tube. A rotary tool (Dremel) with an abrasive wheel. Polish the interior with some household cleaner (Comet) applied as a paste on the inner rod.

Then insert the rod and drill into its side, the size of a brass nail which you just happen to have. Solder the nail and rod.

Round the ends of the rod with a file. Attach a spring to the nail and somewhere near the top of the tube.

Finally, drill a tight hole in your outer case and epoxy the tube in place. I’d first lightly epoxy the tube and later add an export fillet.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
If its a tactical switch you need a rod with a flange to go under the case and then under the flange a spring that is big enough to go around your button.

====== |Rod| ====== Case
_______|-----|_______ Flange
((((((((((((|___|)))))))))))) Spring
(((((____-------____))))) Button