How to measure "battery bank Ah" with an android phone SOLVED, negative solution

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Hi guys,

this is not much of an electronics question, so I hope the forum is correct. I have a battery bank with which I charge my phone. I want to see how many "Ah" does this battery bank have. Is there any application that I can install and just connect the battery bank, leave the phone charging and just check how many "Ah" were charged after a few hours?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
All of the smart phones I have had control their internal battery charge rate. Additionally in my experience they draw little current when charging. My 5 volt 700 mA charger gets things done in about a few hours.

If you wish to know the amp hour capacity of a battery place a known load on it measure (monitor) the current and voltage and note the time it takes to discharge to a specific voltage level. Most batteries have their AH rating on them. For example a fully charged 12 volt lead acid battery should read right about 12.9 volts when it's fully charged and about 11.4 volts when it is fully discharged. Know the correct voltages for the battery in question. Keep in mind that as a battery discharges through a constant load the current will change so it's nice to have an adjustable load. That's my best guess at know the AH capacity of a battery.

Ron

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi guys,

this is not much of an electronics question, so I hope the forum is correct. I have a battery bank with which I charge my phone. I want to see how many "Ah" does this battery bank have. Is there any application that I can install and just connect the battery bank, leave the phone charging and just check how many "Ah" were charged after a few hours?
There is no app that I am aware of.
Put a load on the battery and see how long it takes for the voltage to fall to a certain value.
For example, a 5Ah battery should be able so supply 5A for 1 hour.
You may want to try a smaller load, for example 0.5A should be good for 10 hours.

Depending on the wattage (volts x amps) delivered to the load, you can try automotive headlight bulbs as loads. Caution don't touch the lamps or stare at the lights. They are very bright.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Thanks for the replies, I already know all of this information, I have been developing battery chargers for some time now, I don't know why it seems like I don't know anything about this topic. I also have the bulbs and everything else, I measured it by charging my phone and calculated its "300mA" instead of the "6800mAh" rating. I was just hoping to find an app that can do that for me.

SOLUTION: there is no app that we are aware of or can find on "google play" to do this, so we have to do it manually.