How to fix this old "game&watch"-like console, what is missing in this board question

nnnn1234

Joined Jul 15, 2021
Hello everyone
I am new to electronics and I have some question about repairing an old game & watch-like console, is this the correct place to ask? (have some pictures, I basically wish to know what is required to repair the console/how to tell (using a multimeter) which wire is the plus/minus etc) I've repaired (soldered) another such console that had 2 wires missing connecting the batteries to the console.

This is what it looks like:WhatsApp Image 2021-07-11 at 17.10.06(1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-07-11 at 17.10.06(2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-07-11 at 17.10.06(3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-07-11 at 17.10.06.jpeg

From what I see there are missing wires to the speaker (metal circle on the back with 2 bumps where the old wires were soldered but since were removed...
I am missing a "metal plate" connection where the batteries are, on 1 side.
And also a wire(s) from the batteries to the main board.
2 of the wires (red and black
I've tried to solder 2 wires to the place in red circle but I cant get the thing to power on (disregarding the speaker).
Also I wonder where to connect the speaker wires to.

Any ideas?
It's a Crazy Bee handheld game by Casio.

Thank you.

Frank_SFL

Joined May 12, 2021
Hi,
I am new to this site as well.
I found this image online and it shows that there are two red wires coming from the speaker.
They appear to be going to the same area that you have marked on your photo.
The metal plate connects the positive side of one battery to the negative side of the other putting the batteries in series. That metal plate doesn't have wires that connect to the main board.
I am by no means an expert. , but just offering up an opinion on my thoughts.
There are some folks on here that are really good and have given me good advice.
Hope this helps.

1626453845069.png

nnnn1234

Joined Jul 15, 2021
Hi,
I am new to this site as well.
I found this image online and it shows that there are two red wires coming from the speaker.
They appear to be going to the same area that you have marked on your photo.
The metal plate connects the positive side of one battery to the negative side of the other putting the batteries in series. That metal plate doesn't have wires that connect to the main board.
I am by no means an expert. , but just offering up an opinion on my thoughts.
There are some folks on here that are really good and have given me good advice.
Hope this helps.

View attachment 243716
Thank you for your reply, it certainly helped in giving me some hints.
I tried connecting the 2 batteries with a jumper wire instead of the missing right metal plate (where the batteries touch on right side in the picture) without much improvement unfortunately, could be something else is "broken" in the electric panel itself (maybe it got shorted or something).
I wonder if it will work without connecting the 2 wires to the speaker on the right, just to see if I can get some visuals without sound for starters? (tried a little but didnt work).

Is there a way to test the panel itself with a multimeter just to check that current is going through it? (and if a current does go through it creating a complete circuit then it should be in a working state, right?)

Thanks a lot again.

Frank_SFL

Joined May 12, 2021
Hi,
I can't tell what components are on the board from the photo's, but I believe there is one large chip and switches.
In thinking this through, it seems to me (and anyone out there please correct me if I am wrong.....I could very well be). Since the wires are missing, I believe that someone has either tried to fix this before, and for some reason removed the wires for the speaker (parts scavenging?). First step is always to do a visual inspection to see if there is any obvious indication of a problem (burn marks, swelling components, etc.) I don't have enough knowledge to be able to tell you what next steps would be. Anyone else? Suggestions, etc.?

nnnn1234

Joined Jul 15, 2021
Hi,
I can't tell what components are on the board from the photo's, but I believe there is one large chip and switches.
In thinking this through, it seems to me (and anyone out there please correct me if I am wrong.....I could very well be). Since the wires are missing, I believe that someone has either tried to fix this before, and for some reason removed the wires for the speaker (parts scavenging?). First step is always to do a visual inspection to see if there is any obvious indication of a problem (burn marks, swelling components, etc.) I don't have enough knowledge to be able to tell you what next steps would be. Anyone else? Suggestions, etc.?

I've taken new photos of the back side, showing the new wires that I tried to (haphazardly) solder and "mess around" hoping to get some reaction.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-20 at 01.04.26 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-07-20 at 01.04.26 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-07-20 at 01.04.26 (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-07-20 at 01.04.26.jpeg

Any ideas?