how to dismantle covers from S889NR tiller assy?

Poor old sod

Joined Jul 25, 2017
It's my shoprider gopher/mobiity scooter. I need to do some maintenance under the top of the tiller shroud, but can't see how to remove it. It has a tall front panel with charge socket, key assy, max speed knob and batt indicator, and a short top-rear panel with light and horn switches. the smaller panel fits inside the larger one, with 4 plastic philips screws(?) thru their sides, but they never come out if undone. Neither do the sides of the panels distort to release the back panel, and the whole assy is loosely captive around the handlebar area. I can't bend down to see what's happening or what tools I need where.

I'm planning to replace the max speed control with a twistgrip from an e-bike, and the fwd/rev selector with a 3 psn spst switch with resistors to be shorted out. The fwd rev unit is $130+ labour to replace. I bought a pot, but it doesn't have enough change of reading in the small arc of movement allowed. The weatherproof pots are $30 ea from Tiwan via alibaba. I can't justify paying such high prices for relatively simple objects which aren't worth what's demanded. I DIY all my life to prevent being plundered by people whom often know less than I do about the work I want done, they bugger the job and still demand top dollar. I'm just fed up with it. There are very few tradesmen I trust to do good work, & I can't afford to prove them all, but the jobs still need doing for me to remain independently mobile, rather than vegitate.
So, anyone know how to sort the tiller, labour =$100/hr +callout] as exploded diagrams don't tell me enough?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It is kind of hard to know what model you have to give specific advice. If it is like this:
upload_2018-3-11_11-23-5.png
The base cover may be one piece. Such maintenance might be done from the bottom or require substantial disassembly to get at the necessary parts. The "tiller shroud" might be snap apart or have hidden latches -- not unlike interior panels in cars. Are there any round buttons with concentric circles on the top?

A close-up picture would help.

Poor old sod

Joined Jul 25, 2017
Much as I appreciate the quick reply, it will take someone with personal experience to guide me. No there are no more obvious clips or anything I can see, reach or undo other than the max speed knob and the key/power socket. They don't appear to hold it, and if they do, then reassembly will be a worse nightmare, because theres no room to {dis}connect things. . Mind you, I have big euro hands and fingers. Tomorrow I'll use my ph camera to look inside it.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Well, I don't own one. Hope this additional information might help:

upload_2018-3-11_13-35-25.png

As suggested and the picture seems to confirm, the assembly snaps together:

upload_2018-3-11_13-37-21.png